Reverse proxy migration to another server

vivuu November 6, 2017

HI ,

All our Atlassian applications are hosted in windows 2012 and they are running behind Appache HTTP Reverse proxy (version-Apache/2.4.20 (Win64) OpenSSL/1.0.2h)  which is also a windows server..

The reverse proxy also using by some other applications for proxying.

Now, The current reverse proxy got corrupted and we have to move the reverse proxy configuration to new windows server as it is now in old server.

Please find the attached files for your reference.

Here we may need your advise to move the reverse proxy configuration and settings to be done in new server with detailed steps.

Note: - We are very new to Reverse proxy setup and would expect a detailed steps.

Thanks in advance

Vivuu

5 answers

0 votes
Vickey Lepcha December 4, 2017

Doesn't look like JIRA issue to me here.

You need to figure out and work on apache http for now.

I have migrated and upgraded my apache http too months back - it has minimum to do with JIRA and questions here.

You will need to figure out how to reconfigure your apache http

0 votes
congo bongo November 29, 2017

hello

its impossible to know if this was resolved, but i think you should consider move onto linux or unix - since you have a stack completely platform independent - both jira/java/tomcat and apache/httpd will run smooth on *nix... anyways - thats not your problem.

Moving your proxyserver, you will need to make sure that your public DNS records for jira application resolves to an ip adress that the new server listens to. The reverse part configuration should be the same unless you also moved your jira server to a new host or network, or gave your jira host a new ip...

Running JIRA behind a reverse proxy where public protocol is HTTP and you probe the tomcat with HTTP - is easy and out of the box - you can make it work with school examples. But if you want to do HTTPS hosting of JIRA public, you propably are going to still probe your tomcat with HTTP protocol, as it makes no sense to encrypt your local network traffic... That last described setup requires some modifications to tomcat - which took more than 10 minuts to figure out, so it wasnt easy...

hope you can use my reply for anything.

cheers

0 votes
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

Vivuu,

What do you mean by corrupted?

What is the output of: 

C:\Apache24\bin>httpd.exe -t

vivuu November 6, 2017

Hi Lars,

The server is going to crash soon due to the system got corrupted as per the server team.

So here we need to move everything from this current server to new server.

Out put of the given command:-

[Mon Nov 06 18:47:57.921862 2017] [proxy_html:notice] [pid 4064:tid 44] AH01425:
I18n support in mod_proxy_html requires mod_xml2enc. Without it, non-ASCII char
acters in proxied pages are likely to display incorrectly.
Syntax OK

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

I was thinking that you Apache server did not start, but it sounds like this is not the case.

Standard migration is performed by setting up a new server and then performing an xml backup.

The xml file is imported into the new server.

If everything is working, but the physical server itself is the problem, then you could migrate the server by cloning the server. If you know what you are doing this is a 1-2 hour task. I think vmware is the only supported virtualization platform..

vivuu November 6, 2017

Hi Lars,

Now the applications are working fine and there is no isse with applications at all.

Here we need to migrate the apache reverse proxy server, which wont cause any down to the hosted applications.

0 votes
vivuu November 6, 2017

Hi Nic,

This one I already refered but didnt help me here as its stating about only fresh build.

Here we have existing reverse proxy server and that we need to migrate to new server as its in the current server.

Please let me know what information you required to provide your valuable advise here.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2017

Please work through https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/proxying-atlassian-server-applications-with-apache-http-server-mod_proxy_http-806032611.html

We can't give you more than that because you've not given us any information other than "Apache proxy with Atlassian"

vivuu November 6, 2017

Hi Nic,

This one I already refered but didnt help me here as its stating about only fresh build.

Here we have existing reverse proxy server and that we need to migrate to new server as its in the current server.

Please let me know what information you required to provide your valuable advise here.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2017

You said you the proxy got "corrupted", so I have to assume you meant the configuration as that's the only thing that could be corrupted.

As you've lost that config, your only choice is a clean start with the proxies.

If that's not the error and you maens omething else when you say "corrupt", then you still have the Apach config files and you can use those to build a new proxy server.

vivuu November 6, 2017

HI Nic,

here i meant The current reverse proxy server will crash any time as per the infra team advise and, we would need to migrate the reverse proxy server only to new server.

So we need your advise to migrate reverse proxy server to new server . 

vivuu November 6, 2017

Yes We have the Apache config files which is the current server, But we are not aware how to migrate the Apache configuration to new Server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2017

If you've got a crashing proxy, you probably need to work out why it's crashing.  If it's the config causing it, then migrating to another one is going to cure nothing.

So, if you are determined to go to another proxy without knowing what the problem is, your safest option is by far to follow the document for "new proxy".  The current settings files will be a small help, because they'll have the urls you need in them, but you're better off not using them for a new install in case they were the problem.

All you really need from them are the names and addresses on a line that says "proxyPass" - it will say something like "proxyPass /confluence http://yourconfluenceserver.somewhere/confluence".  Everything else you should probably just follow the clean installation doc for.

vivuu November 6, 2017

Hi Nic,

Sorry if I confused again.

The proxy configuration in the current server is not corrupted and its working fine. But the hosting server will crash any time due to system fault and the infra team advised us to rebuild\migrate the current configuration of proxy server to new windows server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2017

This is now very confusing.

If the proxy server is working, why are you migrating it?  It works.  You now say the hosting server is failing - hosting what?

vivuu November 6, 2017

Hi Nic,

More clear : - The server which hosting Apache will get down at any time due to system fault.( currently its up and running., No issue with proxy settings)

So we have to rebuild or migrate the current proxy server configuration in a new server. But we are not aware to migrate Apache between servers.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2017

Ok, so, are the versions of Apache the same on old and new servers?

If they are, you can copy the config.  Use the installation guide to see what files you'll want to pull the config from and replicate on the new one.  If they are different versions, you will want to do a clean install, just in case there are settings that have changed the way they work.

Either way, you need to understand your proxy settings if you're going to do this.  It's not something you want to do blind.

vivuu November 6, 2017

Nic,

current version is  - Appache HTTP Reverse proxy (version-Apache/2.4.20 (Win64) OpenSSL/1.0.2h).

And we are planning for the same version installation only in the new server.

So we need your help in details, which steps we have to follow, and which files need to be replaced and all..

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2017

The problem there is we don't know what you've set up on the original proxy.  I can't tell you to look at a file that I don't know you've amended or added.

You should use the guide I've given to work out where to look and what to replicate.

vivuu November 6, 2017

Thanks Nic,

For your all suggestions.

As we are new to this, the above link wont help us. 

We repeatedly asked you for the migration steps for reverse proxy only. Not for fresh build.

And we expected a detailed steps on this as its a known or usual steps ...

Thanks for you time 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2017

There are no migration steps.  As I've explained already, you need to look at what you did in the old system so you can carry it over to the new one.

To do that, you need to understand what has been configured.  The only way to learn that is to go through a process that tells you where to look - such as a fresh set up.

I can't give you migration steps for your server without full detailed knowledge of what you have configured.

Suggest an answer