Reuse custom fields on same issue type

Kelsey Whiting July 20, 2015

I am creating a screen that has multiple tabs, but in those tabs there are the same custom fields.. for example

Screening/Sorting tab

-due date

-owner

-next actions

Shipping tab

-due date

-owner

-next actions

There are about 5 sections (tabs) that have the exact same fields. How could I reuse fields so I do not have to create a lot of fields with the same names? Or, if anyone has a better idea? I can't use a template because they need to be able to search on these fields.

Thank you!

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2015

You can't reuse fields like this.  A field belongs to an issue and hence has to be unique.  Take for example "owner".  It's a field on an issue.  You can't add it again, you've already got it once you've added the first one.  

You need separate fields with different names.

The best way to think of tabs is not as individual entities, but just a way to split up information on a complicated screen.  They don't do anything else.

0 votes
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2015

I assume you have some fields that are common, others that are unique per tab (or why have more than one tab?).

I set it up as one 'Main' tab and separate tabs with the fields that are 'unique' (only pertinent to) to a department.

0 votes
john.pfotzer@verizonwireless.com July 20, 2015

I don't have a good answer, but this is a good question. I had to go this route:

give each tab name a unique name, for example due date (a) due date(b) or due date1, due date2, etc. this may also help your search sorting, if you need  the date on tab 2 for example you can set your search criteria on finding the result for field due date2.

Suggest an answer