Reuse custom fields on same issue type

I am creating a screen that has multiple tabs, but in those tabs there are the same custom fields.. for example

Screening/Sorting tab

-due date

-owner

-next actions

Shipping tab

-due date

-owner

-next actions

There are about 5 sections (tabs) that have the exact same fields. How could I reuse fields so I do not have to create a lot of fields with the same names? Or, if anyone has a better idea? I can't use a template because they need to be able to search on these fields.

Thank you!

3 answers

1 vote

You can't reuse fields like this.  A field belongs to an issue and hence has to be unique.  Take for example "owner".  It's a field on an issue.  You can't add it again, you've already got it once you've added the first one.  

You need separate fields with different names.

The best way to think of tabs is not as individual entities, but just a way to split up information on a complicated screen.  They don't do anything else.

I don't have a good answer, but this is a good question. I had to go this route:

give each tab name a unique name, for example due date (a) due date(b) or due date1, due date2, etc. this may also help your search sorting, if you need  the date on tab 2 for example you can set your search criteria on finding the result for field due date2.

I assume you have some fields that are common, others that are unique per tab (or why have more than one tab?).

I set it up as one 'Main' tab and separate tabs with the fields that are 'unique' (only pertinent to) to a department.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

32 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you