Reuse Permission Schemes for different projects with different members

Kristian Thim January 3, 2018

Is it possible to assign a person to a Project role (I've used this in my custom permission scheme), but only in the context of a specific project, so that if the scheme is used in multiple projects, it is still only in that particular project the permission is given?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2018

Hello,

Roles are defined for projects. If you grant permissions based on project roles then the permission will be granted to the users who are defined for the project role in a certain project. 

You can use the permission scheme for multiple projects and only users defined forthe project role in the project will have this permission.

Thank you for the reply.

What I was looking for was the "People" tab on the project where you assign people to those roles.. I was looking for a "Project Roles" section on the project where I could assign people, or looking under security.. but it was "people". 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2018

I guess People tab does the same for JiraCloud. Did you try to setup with the People tab and it did not work?

Yes, it worked perfectly. 

I started with Jira yesterday, so there are some fundamental things I need to understand, but it seems I've grasped the security model now.

I've built up a generic role model I can use for all customer projects, based on my own set of roles

• Project Member
  • Project Manager
  • Project Administrator
  • Project External Member
  • Project Internal Member
  • Project Viewer
  • Administrator

I've distributed these roles in my own Permission Scheme and I'm now changing schemes for all my customer projects :)

Like Jan Wilson likes this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2018

I guess your question is solved. Good luck:)

Suggest an answer