Return to previous state in Jira workflow

Hi All,

I would like to know if there is an option to return to the previous status in JIRA workflow. For example I have open,Development in progress, Testing in progress and closed in a workflow. User working on the issue which is in 'Development in progress' moved to 'Testing in progress' unknowingly/ or by mistake. So is there a way to get back to the previous status.

Any help provided will be helpful to us.

Thanks,

Vijay

3 answers

0 vote

Yes.  Make sure the workflow has a transition that goes back to the desired status.

That would create a lot of transitions back and forth between all the status in the workflow. I have 12 statuses and 20 transitions in the workflow, applying back and forth transitions will make the workflow more complex.

I am thinking is there any other way so that it could ease the process. please let me know.

John Paz Atlassian Team Aug 12, 2016

Your process already sounds complex without the back and forth transitions, but that's not because of the back and forth. It's complex.

The workflow is what dictates which status an issue can go to/from.

John is absolutely right - a workflow is a model of your process.  You have a complex process and you need to reflect that in the workflow.

I would share transitions where possible though - when creating a transition back to X, have a look at the existing transitions going into X - you may well be able to reuse them.

Hi All,

Thanks for your response. Will try to reuse the transitions which would really help us. 

Thanks,

Vijay

The alternative would be activating hidden transitions back to status and placing a a transition back to the status itself that would activate the appropriate hidden transition. 

A new custom field that would record what the previous status was etcetera.

Not really worth it I'd assume, and if you didn't understand my proposal you probably shouldn't attempt to maintain such a solution in your workflows.

0 vote
John Paz Atlassian Team Aug 12, 2016

Methuku,

If there is no option to go back on the issue then the workflow was configured to not allow you to backwards in the process. 

Contact one of your JIRA administrators and explain your problem, there are a number of solutions they could try to unblock you.

Comment back if you'd like specific help changing the workflow to allow you to go back.

Good luck. 

There is the "Undo transition" plugin which proved very useful to us. It demands that the user who made the transition undo's it however. https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/nl.avisi.jira.plugins.undo-transition-plugin/server/overview

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

Meet the AUG leaders of Northern Virginia

@Rachel Wright (Jira Genie), @Billy Poggi (AUG NOVA, DC), and @Dana Jansen (Confluence Queen) are just some of the folks that lead one of the world's most active Atlassian User Group (AUG)....

158 views 5 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you