Retrieve a deleted issue record

Jay January 16, 2013

An issue has been deleted from my project in error. Is it possible to, and how should I retrieve the issue directly from an archive, or some such place, and have it reappear on the project as in its original state?

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2013

No. Deleted means deleted, the only things left are a hole in your project key numbers and (hopefully) a backup.

I know OnDemand is backed up, but I don't know if Atlassian will retrieve it for you, and if they do, whether it'll be a simple copy of the data they found, or a full re-insertion of it all (Which needs SQL, re-indexing and downtime). You should ask their support team in the first instance.

(Also, consider removing "delete" permissions for most/all users)

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2013

Typically we won't restore accidentally deleted data. It's recommended that you periodically take your own backups.

If a single issue has been deleted and you don't have a backup, most of the data can usually be pieced together from JIRA email notifications.

Like # people like this
Jay January 20, 2013

Thanks for the information - I feared as much, but at least I have the definitive answer now and can confirm this message with users.

Best regards

Vasil.Remeniuk May 6, 2015

@Michael Knight, normally means it is still possible? Our IT ops by mistake have removed all tickets from our corporate JIRA... By any occasion, would it be possible to restore them anyhow? For any amount of money... :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2015

I'd raise this, as soon as possible, with support directly - Michael may well see it here, but they'll need an official support request in order to do anything. Head to https://support.atlassian.com and have your account details to hand (contacts on your side, and at least the url for your Cloud instance)

Vasil.Remeniuk May 6, 2015

@Nic, thanks, I've already fired a ticket to the support, and it seems, it will be possible to make a restore from Atlassian's backup

Cameron Jeffries February 16, 2017

Is it possible to just view a report of which ticket numbers were deleted?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2017

The audit log (if enabled) can be filtered for delete, but otherwise, no.  You can't report on what's not there.  The closest you could get is look at the while list of issues in the project, and look for holes in the numbering - a hole is either a deleted issue or one that was moved out of the project.

1 vote
Acid Oranges June 22, 2018

This app that allows you to log and easily view the deleted issues: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219171/who-deleted-my-issues

1 vote
rashi rai October 11, 2013

Jira sent a notification saying I deleted an issue. However, I have not worked on Jira since Morning. Is there a way to go back and see what happened there? Is it possible someone else used my system ( I stepped out for a while) and deleted it? Am i being ridiculuous here?

I'd like to know how did the issue get deleted.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2013

Please see the original answer.

You or someone or an automated system, using your credentials, deleted the issue. You can't get it back or find out who/what unless you have got logging enabled to catch this sort of thing.

Warren Goldman August 24, 2016

It is this type of loose coding we should all avoid. Deletion of anything should be recorded.

Like ildar khakimov likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2016

It is, if you enable the logging.  Better, disallow delete, it's easier.

0 votes
ildar khakimov October 15, 2019

"No. Deleted means deleted, the only things left are a hole in your project key numbers and (hopefully) a backup."

Kind of a terrible coding practice if they literally delete items instead of flagging them as "deleted" which is like programming 101

Plenty of people asking about this online.. May be allow people to finally view deleted items?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2019

Or maybe just allow delete so that you can improve performance, while having the flexibility to not allow most people to do it when they don't quite now how permanent it might be?

Andrew Dubinsky June 11, 2019

This appears to be for self-hosted environments. Is there a way with the hosted product to restore?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2019

If by "hosted" you mean "Cloud" (all Jira services are "hosted" somewhere), then no, there's no restore option.  It's not changed since the original 6-year-old answer.

Suggest an answer