Retrieve Jira user emailaddress

Daniel Williams October 7, 2019

I'm trying to get a jira user email address from the /user?accountid={AccountID}, and for some reason it doesn't have the 'emailAddress' property available. I'm not sure if this is related to the token generated to request the API. I use a user who has full access/site admins to generate the API token, and that token is used for the API request for some specific users. The strange thing is that this user (Full access/site admin) whom I used to generate the token is able to have the 'emailAddress' property available if I query that user itself, but not for other users. I have also changed the settings for the email visibility to public and still doesn't seem to solve the issue. I don't know what else I'm missing.

I remember I read somewhere in the Jira that emailAddress should be available/depending on a privacy settings which is supposed to be the visibility settings correct?

I have read several post from the community but none of them really solve/answer the questions. Many mentioned there is workaround for this but not sure where the details are. My integration system really needs the email address from any assignee fields and this is becoming a huge blocker for our system.

Any helps/insight is appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2019

Hi @Daniel Williams 

I believe that this is all related to the GDPR changes that have come in over the last few months. Generally (by default), the only details that get returned for a user are the username and id, which is why you're not getting the email address returned. 

There is a setting that each individual user can change (in their profile settings, I think) to make their email address visible, but I'm not sure if the API will return it even then.

Wo Fat October 8, 2019

Yeah I have dug into the profile settings/configuration and set visibility to public and yet the API still doesn't return the "emailAddress" property. I wonder if anyone knows any work around to get any users email at all?

Suggest an answer