Resultset in issue navigator is not showing my custom field

Philippe Robichaud February 8, 2013

Hi there,

I know JIRA is pretty sensible when we are trying to display custom fields in issue navigator caused by different context set to some fields from one or many issues shown in the result. But I'm not getting it at this point...here are two different JQL query with exact same resultset:

1. project = PO and key in ("PO-86","PO-84","PO-82")
  2. project = PO and status in ("Pending Execution")

I can assure you the result in the issue navigator for both queries is the same 3 issues. However, the columns I can see in both cases is slightly different:

1. TKeySummaryAssigneeReporterStatusCreatedUpdatedDue"Total PO ($)"
  2. TKeySummaryAssigneeReporterStatusCreatedUpdatedDue

Why can't I see "Total PO ($)" column with the second JQL query?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2013

Is this field "Total PO ($)" only applicable for the issue types "PO-86","PO-84","PO-82" ? If yes, this could be due to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-30818 / https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-26445

Change the context of the custom field and make it applicable to all issue types and see if the column is appearing.

Philippe Robichaud February 10, 2013

Thanks Renjith. I figured that out with the following query eventhough field "Total PO ($)" was allowed in context of issuetypes A, B and C :

project = PO and status in ("Pending Execution") and issuetype in ("A", "B", "C")

It's odd we need to specifically mention in the JQL query the list of possible issuetypes that exist in the project eventhough the previous query I was using should already look into all of those.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2013

The filters look at the context of fields.

When you say issues keyed X, Y and Z, the issue navigator knows the full list of possible issue types in the query, and so it can pull out any field that applies to just that list of possible types.

When you say "in status Something", the *possible* list of issue types is "all the ones in the project", so if there are any fields that don't beling to ALL the issue types in the project, it drops them.

Annoying design flaw IMHO. It should actually display the field and somehow indicate "not applicable to this issue because of context" on the results.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2013

That is true. Your question is really clear about what you are seeing and how you have it set up. It's good to see someone thinking through possible causes and comparing like-for-like without needing to be asked. It eliminates a lot of possibilities and really helps narrow down the potential causes.

But you still need to test what happens with plain, simple, raw filters that have not been saved.

Create a new filter and try JQL 1. Create a new filter and try JQL 2. What's the difference?

0 votes

If someone would think different issue types were the cause, that's not the case as all 3 issues are from the same type.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2013

Are these saved filters? You can associate different column view settings with saved filters, so maybe you've added TotalPO to one and not the other? (I don't actually think it's that, but we need to rule it out...). To test this, clikc issues -> new filter, paste the first JQL in and see what you get. Then do exactly the same - click new filter and paste the second in. I'd expect the columns to be the same.

thanks Nic of your assumption but there is no flters involved.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2013

Um, all results in the issue navigator are generated by filters. The list you see there is the result of a filter, pushed through one way of seeing it.

Could you try the test I scribbled above? We need to see what happens there before we can explain what you are seeing, or say "that looks wrong, raise a support request"

Suggest an answer