Restricting a field editing to a specific user other than assignee

Vishnu Rajan July 11, 2017

When a Transition is made from A to B, by User X and the new assignee will be Y. I want that only X can Edit the fields by not Y.

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2017

Out of the box the only way is to put the field ONLY on the transition screen where X will see it. I presume you are somehow restricting the transition to user X or just want the user executing the transition to edit the field. Out of the box, JIRA doesn't have field level permissions. The behaviours plugin may allow it. 

Thanks for the response Joe. 

Scenario:In the transition executed by X, there are field values which Y should not be able to edit though Y is the assignee. Also, X should be able to edit the fields even after the transition.

I don't see it happening without a plugnin. Removing field from the edit screen is not an option.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2017

I suggest looking into th ebehaviours plugin. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2017

What you're describing there is summarised as "field level security"

JIRA doesn't do that.

You could try the Behaviours module in ScriptRunner to do it, but it only covers the UI, so people can ignore it if they're using a mobile application or REST, or if they're really annoyed by it  and willing to play with javascript settings in their browser

There is a field level security add-on by Quisapps which is well worth a look.

@Joe & Nic. Appreciate the quick revert.

I'll check the plugins as suggested.

Sarath October 1, 2019

I'm able to use behaviors module in ScriptRunner to make a field not editable.
Here's what I did: 

Created a behavior, mapped to a particular project, made it read-only and added the condition except current user is username.

By doing that, except the selected user no one can edit the field from edit screen but all are able to edit from inline editing option. 

Suggest an answer