Restricted user can see the full list of projects in "Search for Issues" Project dropdown list.

Javier February 19, 2013

Hi everyone.

I would like preventing users from select a project (in which they have no permissions) in the project selection dropdown list at "Search for Issues" navigator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards and thank you in advance.

Javier.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Javier March 11, 2013

Hi everyone.

It seemed to be an strange internal problem.

I have restored a PROD backup into TEST environment (to have a fully functional TEST system) and now it works properly.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Best regards,

Javier.

1 vote
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2013

Hi Javier,

From the described behavior, I believe that the 'restricted' users may have the Browse Projects permission in the permission schemes associated to those projects. Hence, can you kindly check the related permission scheme configuration, look for the Browse Projects permission and see if this the case? If this is true, then you may restrict the list of projects from the users in question by limiting the Browse Projects permisison.

I hope that this will help!

Cheers.

Javier February 19, 2013

Hi Ahmad, for your fast answer.

I have checked that before and the user is not included in the groups that have permissions for "Browse Projects".

The user cannot create issues for the other projects, but he can select a different project in the dropdown list in "Search for Issues" section.

:(

Thank you, Ahmad.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2013

What about roles or the other options?

I agree with Ahmad here, if you have a user who can see a project, then they have "browse" permission somehow.

The usual culprit is the Atlassian default - "jira users" is used to say "people in this group can log in", but then also used to provide access to projects, which you'll need to unravel. There are some other gotchas in this area too.

Anyway to diagnose this exact problem, could you post the whole "browse" line from the permissions for one of the projects that someone can see when they shouldn't.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2013
Yeah. You can also use the permission helper. Just open any issue and select this function from "more actions". Type in the name of a user you want to check. Another thing to check is the projects roles. You may have groups associated with roles and you bypassed permission settings with that.
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2013

Ok, good start, but there's more.

Your screenshots show pherro (I assume that's user who shouldn't be seeing stuff) and their groups. It shows that you are not using any groups pherro is in directly, and that you are mostly using roles to control acces

What we don't know is what roles pherro is in, and it leaves us with three more things to ask:

• Is pherro assignee on any issues in the projects?
  • Have you put pherro directly into any roles in the projects?
  • Have you used any of pherro's groups in any of the roles in the projects?

(You can answer the second and third question by clicking on the "roles" link next to pherro)

0 votes
Javier February 23, 2013

Ok, I am goint to do both actions.

I will send shortly some screenshots about it.

Thank you for your help.

Javier.

Javier March 11, 2013

Hi everyone.

It seemed to be an strange internal problem.

I have restored a PROD backup into TEST environment (to have a fully functional TEST system) and now it works properly.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Best regards,

Javier.

Suggest an answer