Restrict moving user stories around

Ahmed Alghamdi August 6, 2017

Hello guys,

I searched on google, and seems the edit issues / schedule issues are responsbile for the ability to move user stories around. but i'm very relectint to edit the permission. it's not clear to me what those do.

Edit issue indicate to me at least the ability to add descriptions, change the subject, add lables and basiclly do all that you can do as editing of an issue?

I only simply want users except PO to not be able to move an item from the product backlog to an active sprint. i still want them to be able to move issues - other than user stories - to other (not active sprints) 

I do not want any other issue permissions stuff to be impacted !

Thanks,

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2017

Hello Ahmed,

From the docs -

• Restricting users from Ranking issues — Only users with the Schedule Issues and Edit Issues Project Permissions  are allowed to modify the Rank of issues in the backlog. If you would like to prevent users from doing this, restrict their Schedule Issues permissions.
  • Restricting users from adding/dragging issues into sprints — Only users with the Schedule Issues and Edit Issues Project Permissions can add/drag issues into sprints. If you would like to prevent users from doing this, restrict their Schedule Issues and/or Edit Issues permissions.

Thus, currently ranking and drag/drop of issues is dependent on "Schedule Issues and Edit Issues " permissions only

Also, since you have mentioned that 

i still want them to be able to move issues - other than user stories - to other (not active sprints) 

Currently, in JIRA the permissions are events on actions(edit, move etc) they can't be configured based on issueType. Though by using some clever scripting and some other plugins you can implement some restrictions based on issueType. But implementing restrictions on drag and drop which don't exist out of the box would hamper the user experience.

Bertram Herzog July 11, 2018

Dear Tarun, 

thanks for the answers. We have a similar problem:

• Only PO should be able to prioritize the Backlog.
  • But all team-members should be able to prioritize their sub-tasks below their stories (i.e. prioritize sub-tasks on the Sprint-Board).

From the above I understand that the ranking permission cannot be bound to e.g. a board or a "context" like "Sprint" or "Backlog". From the above I understand that it would rather work by giving the PO the right to use ranking for ALL issue types and for all other team-members give the right for all issue types of "Edit Issues" but only for the Issue-Type "Sub-Task" to "Schedule Issues".

Did I understand it correct?

We are using JIRA-Server 7.9.2.

Thanks and Best Regards, 

Bertram

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer