Restrict issues in an epic based on custom date field

Erica Larson October 4, 2017

My marketing team uses epics to track our weekly promotions.  Sometimes a promotion for the wrong week gets pulled into the incorrect epic.  Is there a way to restrict an issue being associated with an epic based on a date range?

For Example:

Epic: Weekly Promos for October 1st - October 7th (custom fields show start/end date for the week on the epic)

Issue Type: Promotion issue with a promotion date of October 15th (based on custom field) would not be able to be associated with that epic.

1 answer

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2017

You could use Automation for JIRA (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.codebarrel.addons.automation/cloud/overview) to remove any issues from an Epic which meets these conditions. This doesn't prevent them from going in, but it does help keep them out.

Erica Larson October 6, 2017

Thanks Boris.  Unfortunately we aren't in a place to pay for a new plugin right now.

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2017

You could set up a saved filter to identify these issues and at least send yourself a filter subscription to flag these issues on a regular basis.

Erica Larson October 9, 2017

Thanks Boris.  I think that is the solution we are going to use for now using custom date fields and JQL fliter on within 1w, 2w, etc.  I will put Automation for JIRA on our wishlist.

Suggest an answer