Restrict editing of issue during a specific state, but still allow to add/remove attachments

patricia_scott_honeywell_com June 3, 2022

I know that I can restrict users from editing an issue in a specific status by adding to the properties of "jira.issue.editable=false".

However, when we do this, it also disabled the users from adding/removing attachments.

I also know that we can use the property of "jira.permission.edit.group=none", however, this allows "all" users with that permission to add/remove attachments.

Is there a way to set it so that "all" users cannot edit the record (not see the edit button), but only one or more project roles can add/remove attachments?  ie, I want Administrators and Developers to add/remove attachments, but not users.

1 answer

0 votes
Alan Stephenson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2022

Hi,

You can possibly use the Permissions scheme. If you have the USERS role to only browse issues and not edit capabilities but add USERS role to add attachment. It may not work because in order for a user to add an attachment they may need the edit rights. I will test on my test instance and see if it works or not.

-alan

Alan Stephenson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2022

After setting up a quick test, you can use the permission scheme to do this. I created a test project where any user had access to view my project but not edit. I also let the permission for any user to add an attachment. It let them create the attachment. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-alan

patricia_scott_honeywell_com June 3, 2022

Thanks for looking at this Alan.  But not exactly what I was looking for.

We want the "User" To be able to edit the record in other states, so that will not work for us.

So, basically, the Admin/Developer/User do have ability to "Edit" the record.  But when say it gets to the Resolved state, I don't want any of them to "Edit" the record, but I want the Admin and Developer to be able to add/remove attachments.

Alan Stephenson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2022

I would have to test. It is possible I think you can restrict the edit of a ticket once it moves into Closed or Done so the only person who can edit is a project admin. I know I setup some conditions in the workflow transitions to only let a project admin move a ticket to any status. I'll let you know what i figure out.

Suggest an answer