Restrict User rights edit summary jira

Tshepo December 5, 2012

Hi, Is it possible to restrict other users not to edit the summary field?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2012

No. Jira doesn't do field-level security.

What you could do is remove the fields you want to protect from the edit and transition screens, put them on their own transition screen, and then create workflow transitions that go through that screen and loop back to the same status in the workflow. You can then put conditions on those "edit" transitions.

If you weren't using OnDemand, you could try the field security or behaviours plugins.

0 votes
David Witherspoon December 21, 2012

Thanks Nic. I work with Jean and have been the one trying to get this working. Behaviors seems to have basically been made obsolete by inline editing. Sometimes it is editable, sometimes it's not, probably due to javascript running/timing. Only consistent thing there is, it removes it from the edit screen...

Will give it a go with Field Security soon

0 votes
Jean Resener December 18, 2012

I have a similar need. Nic-we are not using OnDemand, and I was wondering if you could provide more info on the Field Security or Behaviours plugins you referenced in this answer. Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2012

Both are searchable - just look for "Behaviours", or "quisapps" in the marketplace. I've used them both, but I'm not going to pretend I know how they work in any detail.

Behaviours adds a load of options (mostly by javascript if memory serves). You could do a lot of it yourself, but it's a monumental pain - behaviours fixes that by having a decent swathe of reusable functions that you can call in a really easy way, and a stack of admin screens so you don't need to do much in the way of "coding" at all.

Field Security I am even more sketchy on, but I understand it hooks into Jira more deeply than behaviours, and it concentrates highly on field access

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2012

No. Jira doesn't do field-level security.

What you could do is remove the fields you want to protect from the edit and transition screens, put them on their own transition screen, and then create workflow transitions that go through that screen and loop back to the same status in the workflow. You can then put conditions on those "edit" transitions.

If you weren't using OnDemand, you could try the field security or behaviours plugins.

Suggest an answer