Restrict Kanban Board Configuration Permissions

Steffen Neumann September 16, 2020

I am having this weird issue where all logged-in users are able to change the Kanban board configuration, like setting up swimlanes or changing card layout. It is my understanding that only board admins should be able to do that.

I am probably overlooking something in the permission scheme, but couldn't find a permission related to board configuration in the default permission scheme I am using.

Any pointer where to look at?

2 answers

0 votes
sridevichirra September 16, 2020

Hi @Steffen Neumann

In Jira cloud or Jira server for Kanban board configuration can be changed by Jira Administrator users and Board Administrator only.

1. click Board > Configure.
  2. On the Board Configuration screen, click any of the name(s) in the Administrators field, 

3. Enter the names of the desired users or groups. If you start typing the name, a list of users and groups will be suggested. Press the Enter key when finished.
    Note: the suggested user list will not display if you don't have the 'Browse Users' global permission.

See the permissions view 

Thanks for the answer. That is indeed the behavior I would expect. The Administrators field under Board -> Configure -> General only lists the individuals that are supposed to have the right to change the board configuration however.

0 votes
Sramanth Pandeti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2020

Hi @Steffen Neumann  To check your board settings/ admin permissions, please select board on top right -> configure -> General and remove the group associated with the board administrators.

Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2020

To complete this answer, i would like to add that the permission you need to enable only to your project admin in the permission scheme is the first "Administer project", given that you work on cloud. Thus the simple users won't be able to break your beautiful Kanban ;)

I tested it and that seems to solve your problem. Indeed, i did not see anything in the permission scheme specifically linked to boards.

Hi @Sramanth Pandeti

Hi @Flavien Gache 

Thanks for your answer but there is no group associated with the field Administrators under Board -> Configure -> General.

Likewise, (extended) Administer project permission is only granted to "Administrators", not users.

Suggest an answer