Restrict 'Fix Version/s' to a single version - JIRA 6

Yossi Zinger January 12, 2014

Hi,

I know this question was raised a few times in the past, but none of the suggested solutions/workarounds/hacks seems to work with JIRA 6 (we're running jira 6.0.8), no matter if you edit this field in-line or using a screen.

I thought I could hide the field from the edit screen, and use workflow transitions in order to edit and validate the field, but that didn't solve the problem of inline editing (since, as a system field, it is always displayed); and there is no reasonable way of disabling inline editing in JIRA 6.

So, does anyone have a way of preventing users from entering multiple versions in the "fix version/s" field? at least something that will show a notification such as 'Multiple versions are disallowed in the Fix Version/s field'.

TIA

Yossi

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2014

Hi Yossi,

You can use the field configuration for your project to simply hide those fields (they will not show up on any screen you will be using. You can now replace them with a custom field of the type Single Version Picker.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

That's a good suggestion, however we need the default fix version/s field to be updated as well due to JIRA Agile and many other plug-ins/reports/scripts that use it.

One solution for that is to write a listener that, whenever that custom field changes, it will automatically update JIRA's fixversion field. I'm not very familiar with listeners so I don't know if that's even possible (espcially in case of inline editing).

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2014

Hi Yossi,

You could take a look at the JIRA Suite Utilities plugin wich has a post function to copy field values.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities

Best regards,

Peter

Yes, I actually use this plugin for other purposes, but since it's workflow-dependent, it won't work with standard edit, or inline edit.

Yes, the second option is probably what I'm looking for - thanks! I'll give it a try.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2014

No that's true, you could take a look at the scriptrunner plugin for that.

Or you could remove your custom fields from the edit screen (which causes them to be uneditable inline) and use the post functions on the create transition.

Both are options.

Best regards,

Peter

Yes, the second option is probably what I'm looking for - thanks! I'll give it a try

2 votes
Mahesha Kalpanie February 7, 2019

In JIRA cloud you can add  "Field has single value Validator" for fix version, under validators 

Suggest an answer