Restrict Fix Version Creation

KeriB September 14, 2015

Does anyone have any ideas of customization or scripting we could do to restrict Fix Version creation? We've never been a fan of the fact that creating versions and components is a project admin permission, but it's even worse now that they added inline/on the fly creation. Before the update, many of our project admins didn't even realize they could add versions and components, but now it's significantly easier to do. 

If there's no hope of restricting the creation, does anyone have an idea for a script or something that would notify us when new versions/components are created? That would at least help us get rid of versions that shouldn't have been created. We have almost 150 projects so it's pretty difficult to just check each project regularly. 

Thanks for any help/ideas!
Keri 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2015

I'm afraid there's not a lot you can do about this.  My impression is that most project admins appreciate it because it means not having to dig through admin screens every time they need a new version/component, so it's not much of a surprise that it's always enabled.  (I've not run across anyone who dislikes it, and plenty of people who were yelling for it before it arrived).  That said, for the handful of sites where it is a problem, it would be nice to have an off-switch.

I don't think there's anything you can do with components, but it feels like they are less of a problem than versions from the other times this has come up.

But for versions, a bit of code can be really handy.  Note that it's not "fix versions", just "versions" - fix, affected and custom versions all read the same list of versions for the project.  The creation of versions fires an event (I think you need to be on JIRA 6.3 or above), which you can catch with a "listener".  If you're writing a listener, you can do anything you want in there - the obvious option is to email people, but you could do pretty much anything.  As you mention scripting, I'd lean towards doing it with the Script-Runner addon, as usual.

KeriB September 17, 2015

Hi Nic, I appreciate your response. I can definitely understand how it could be useful, it just unfortunately doesn't work well with how we manage versions. Components definitely are less of a problem than versions. I'm not that familiar with scripting but I frequently use the built-in scripts from Script-Runner. I will try messing around with it and see if I can make a listener, as that would help somewhat. Thanks again! Keri

Suggest an answer