Restoring a saved workflow

dmcgill March 25, 2013

Is there an easy way to restore a workflow that was saved while publishing an edited version? I have a workflow I need to restore, but it's part of a fairly large workflow scheme and I dread copying the scheme and reassigning projects just to make a simple restore to one workflow.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Isaac Montes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2013

Hello,

JIRA doesn't let you modify anything in workflow schemes and workflows if they are currently being used in a project. the way I would do it, and so that you can easily go back to your previous setup, is to copy the workflow scheme you want to change the workflow to. The you would delete the current setting to the copy and associate your new workflow/s to you issue types once your workflow scheme is set go to your project admin. and assign your new workflow scheme to your project.

Hope this helps I don't know an easy way to just switch because of JIRA restrictions, and this way you can quickly go back to your previous config.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2013

That's the best way. But it is easy. Since you are copying the original workflow scheme and editing only one of those workflows you can associate the project to that workflow scheme without doing a big migration (only the issue type that it is associate to the edited workflow)

dmcgill March 25, 2013
That is how I've managed it in the past. I was hoping there would be an easier way.
Like Adam Lakari likes this
Isaac Montes
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2013

Yes, would be nice to be able to go back to previous versions the way Confluence manages pages, but for now I believe this is the only way.

Ross McKenrick January 21, 2015

I'm afraid I don't understand the suggested solution. Let's assume I change my "Story Workflow", publish the changed workflow, but then want to go back to the previous version. Here are the steps I seem to have to take: 1) Edit Story Workflow. This creates a draft version of Story Workflow. 2) Publish my draft and respond "Yes" when JIRA asks if I want to backup the current version. This creates "Copy of Story Workflow" in the Inactive section. Now I want to revert. But I don't want my production Story Workflow to be named "Copy of Story Workflow" or worse "Story Workflow 2". So: 3) Migrate everyone to from "Story Workflow" to "Copy of Story Workflow" 4) Delete "Story Workflow" 5) Make a copy of "Copy of Story Workflow" and call it "Story Workflow" 6) Migrate everyone from "Copy of Story Workflow" to "Story Workflow" 7) Delete "Copy of Story Workflow" 8) Go to Step 1 Does anyone have an easier way?

Mikkel Breum October 11, 2017

The easier way is called targetprocess

Like Erin Quick-Laughlin likes this
Eric S. May 18, 2018

Landed here from a google search looking for the exact same thing.

Why is Jira turning simple things like selecting an active Workflow into a exhaustive waste of time?  

Edit: Have to go through opening the inactive process to assign it.  Just like it seems you have to go through modifying the existing in order to create a copy... useless clicks but just like the translation, the 404s and a lot of other things since a fews years, seems the focus is features, (not polishing and great UX, unfortunately).

Like Adam Lakari likes this
0 votes
Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2022

Hi @dmcgill @Eric S_ @Mikkel Breum @Ross McKenrick2 @Isaac Montes 

Once you delete something in Jira you have lost that data forever be it issues, attachments or any of the configuration objects.

Thats what inspired us at Revyz to build an app for simplifying backing up your cloud Jira instance which includes issues, attachments, comments, configuration objects and more.

We can also go back point in time and restore as new or update existing objects to what they were at that point in time.

Please visit our market place page to see all things we can help you with protecting your data in your Jira cloud instance - Revyz Backup & Restore 

Additional information is also available at - Revyz Backup & Restore for Jira Software Cloud

Also note Atlassian recommends that you backup your data per the SaaS Shared responsibilities 

I would love to get your feedback on what we are doing and how to improve given an opportunity.

Thank you

Vish

Reference -

Atlassian, Customer Shared Responsibilities - Very good reference doc

Atlassian Security Practices - An excellent reference of Atlassian Security practices

Suggest an answer