Restoring a JIRA OnDemand backup made in another instance

Ivar Gaitan November 17, 2013

I had a JIRA OnDemand trial instance, with a non-optimal URL. So, when I decided to go for it, I made a backup (zipped xml files; activeobjects.xml and entities.xml), terminated the trial and made a new instance with the desired URL name.

But when I try to restore the backup with JIRA import, after uploading the zip file to the webdav directory, it fails with the message "This archive doesn't contains any valid JIRA Export file".

Was I wrong assuming the backup would be importable?

Is there any way to restore the back I have into the new OnDemand instance?

3 answers

1 vote
Erik Saline [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

This link states that a backup from OnDemand can be used on a local instance. I am not sure why your backup is failing. I know that in order to perform a backup/restore the JIRA instance must be the same version. Check if your instance is the same version as OnDemand. The JIRA web page footer usally displays the verion info.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Backing+up+and+exporting+data

0 votes
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2014
0 votes
Uy Hoang May 19, 2014

I got this error too because I also archived the folder that the backup XML files were in. When I zipped the files at the root level, without the folder, it worked.

Suggest an answer