Restoring a JIRA OnDemand backup made in another instance

Bala Venkat May 6, 2014

Team,

I have a JIRA OnDemand instance with my customer and I decided to move the customer instance to other on demand instance .I exported the files from customer instance and I zipped xml files; activeobjects.xml and entities.xml uploaded into cloud safe WebDAV.

But when I try to restore the backup with JIRA import, after uploading the zip file to the webdav directory, it fails with the message "This archive doesn't contains any valid JIRA Export file".

Was I wrong assuming the backup would be importable?

Is there any way to restore the back I have into the new OnDemand instance?

6 answers

1 vote
Uy Hoang May 19, 2014

I got this error too because I also archived the folder that the backup XML files were in. When I zipped the files at the root level, without the folder, it worked.

Thanh Truong September 16, 2017

Thanks. You saved my life, man :)

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2014

Hi Bala,

Could you do the following :

1. extract the attachment folder
  2. extract the entities.xml
  3. extract the activeobjects.xml
  4. Put them all together in one zip file
  5. try to upload that zip file.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Bala Venkat May 7, 2014

Hi Peter,

Could you please update me your findings ? This is really very urgent and I need to move the backup to my current OnDemand insatnce.

Regards,

Bala

0 votes
Bala Venkat May 6, 2014

Hi Mick

I have seen the document before and I followed the same ,though I couldn’t import .While importing I am getting error message “Archive doesn't contains any valid JIRA Export file".

Regards,

Bala

0 votes
Bala Venkat May 6, 2014

Hi Mick

I have seen the document before and I followed the same ,though I couldn’t import .While importing I am getting error message “Archive doesn't contains any valid JIRA Export file".

Regards,

Bala

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2014

Hi Bala,

Could you check the content of your archive.

Which files and directories are included in the archive?

Best regards,

Peter

Bala Venkat May 6, 2014

Hi Peter,

I have folder called Data ,it has attachedment folder in it,attachment folder has lo of folder .Also, I have another 2 files activeobjects.rar and entities.rar files ,it has only activeobjects.xml and entities.xml .

I have selected Jira import option in Jira and browse the file, put into apporoprite folder and import .I am getting the error "Archive doesn't contains any valid JIRA Export file"

Regards,

Bala

0 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2014

If you are trying to restore an OnDemand instance in another OnDemand instance, please follow the instructions in the documentation below.

For backing up data, please look here
For importing data, please look here

Please be aware that you can only perform full site backup and restores.
This means that if you have any data present in the target instance, this will get overwritten and you will lose this data.

If you are required to merge 2 OnDemand insatnces, you will have to perform this in a local installation of JIRA first, after which you can perform a full site restore on the target OnDemand instance.

Suggest an answer