Restore jira to clean server

Mattias Kallvi April 16, 2015

Hi,

I have a Clean server (Windows 2008 R2) to which I have restored the JIRA_HOME and JIRA_INSTALL directories. I have also restored the database backup to our SQL-server. After this restore I modified some files, for example setenv.bat, service.bat and dbconfig.

My guess was that when running the service.bat it would set up that service on my new server and I would be all ready to go. But that doesn't work. It complaines on my CATALINA_HOME variable. I have verified it and it is correct.

So my question is, how should I proceed to restore JIRA to this new server. Do I need to run some setup-program? If I run a Clean install I guess it would work but modifications (if there are any) won't be copied into my new server.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2015

You may want to open a ticket with Atlassian. They would know what register setting are done by the wizard during install. Another option would be to delete what you've done, run the install wizard, and then copy the old code over the new directories. As long as you stick with the same release you should be OK. This is why I STRONGLY advise against modifying the code; moving or upgrades can be much more painful smile

Mattias Kallvi April 16, 2015

Thanks for a Quick answer. So it was as I expected. In my case it was someone before me who did these changes and then moved on to another Company :-( I Think I will use your advise to Clean up, run the wizard but I think I might skip on copying the old code back. From our last upgrade I have the Modified Files-report which should guide me into what files have been modified. Hopefully that will be enough. Otherwise I might replace the code files.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2015

I suggest you revisit why the code modifications were made and are they still truly needed. Sometimes code is modified to meet the whim of a manager or politically connected user, but it doesn't really add enough value to the normal users to justify maintaining it. If they are gone, or if you can show maintaining this just cost you an extra week of billable time they may agree to drop it. I was involved with a system years ago that had gotten out of hand an it required 6-8 months of extra work to recode and test the modifications made that were only really important to a past manager. We announced they were being dropped at the next upgrade and no one complained.

Suggest an answer