Restore a deleted Sprint

Sundaresen RUNGASAMY November 17, 2017

I accidentally deleted a Sprint which was closed initially. How can I restore it?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2017

Dear Sundaresen,

It is not possible to restore a deleted sprint in JIRA. The only thing that you can do is load a XML backup somewhere. Do notice that when loading an XML backup, this will replace your current environment data.

If this is not an option, you should rebuild the sprint.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

3 votes
Tom Veldhouse February 6, 2018

I did the same thing, quite accidentally, from the "Sprint Report".  The name of the sprints was wrong in one of my projects and when I fixed it, I deleted the other incorrect sprints from the report....or as it turned out, altogether.  The sprint report appears to be for a single project, but in fact, it is for all projects.  Further, quite honestly, I don't believe one should be allowed to delete a sprint from within report.  The implication is that something is being deleted from a report, not the item itself.

So, our velocity data is now missing from our first two sprints.

Is there really no better solution than restoring some backed up XML (by the way, we use Jira Cloud)?

2 votes
Rabi Tarraf February 25, 2019

same issue here.. seems JIRA has no solution to simply recover an accidentally deleted sprint .. looking on the licensing prices.. a damn sh*t

0 votes
Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2022

Hi Team,

Once you delete something in Jira you have lost that data forever be it issues, attachments or any of the configuration objects.

Thats what inspired us at Revyz to build an app for simplifying backing up your cloud Jira instance which includes issues, attachments, comments, configuration objects and more.

Please visit our market place page to see all things we can help you with protecting your data in your Jira cloud instance - Revyz Backup & Restore 

Additional information is also available at - Revyz Backup & Restore for Jira Software Cloud

Also note Atlassian recommends that you backup your data per the SaaS Shared responsibilities 

I would love to get your feedback on what we are doing and how to improve given an opportunity.

Thank you

Vish

Reference -

Atlassian, Customer Shared Responsibilities - Very good reference doc

Atlassian Security Practices - An excellent reference of Atlassian Security practices

0 votes
Danny Grenzowski _Rewind_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 13, 2022

Rewind for Jira Cloud allows you to restore deleted Sprints, as well as your other important Jira data (Projects, Issues, etc.)

Check it out for free for 7 days on the Atlassian Marketplace and let me know what you think: 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1226389/rewind-backups

0 votes
Tom Pratt December 12, 2019

I just did this on Jira cloud.  I just started a new sprint with the same name and start date of the original and it looks to have pulled all the tickets back into it.  Anyone else seen this?  2 second fix for me!

KCHAOU, Imen July 1, 2022

Hello Tom,
I did exactly this but the close date of sprint in reports is today.
Can i configure this to have the end date of sprint instead?

Suggest an answer