Restore SQL dump into OnDemand Jira

David Hunter April 15, 2014

I have a situation where the only backup I have from an older local Jira installation is a MySQL dump. I am aware that the recommended way to load a dump into an OnDemand Jira instance is using an XML dump but I don't have one. I assume that I could re-create a local Jira using the SQL dump just to create an XML dump to then upload but I was wondering if there was a way to use the SQL dump driectly in the on demand instance. Note the OnDemand instance is completly new and empty so this is not merging data in.

2 answers

0 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2014

As Nic indicated, OnDemand indeed runs on Postgres, Support will no be able to help you restore your instance on OnDemand based on a db dump. I would advice you to restore the instance locally and create the xml backup (depending on the current verion of JIRA you might have to perform an upgrade first). That backup can get imported into OnDemand (without the help of support). Use this page as a starting point to for importing data to OnDemand and this page for creating the local backup.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2014

I'd raise this with Atlassian OnDemand support - I suspect they'll say "no", mostly because OnDemand runs on PostGreSQL, but they might not.

Suggest an answer