Restore JIRA 6.3.15 is hanging at 90%

Mark Lang March 28, 2015

I am following the steps to restore from a backup file taken from another instance.  Both versions are at 6.3.15.  It gets past the initial screen to:

Restore JIRA data from Backup

90% complete.

Importing data: Stored 265034 of 265034 database values...

And then it hangs.  I have given it several hours a couple different times and then I stop JIRA and restart.  I am able to log in okay and it looks like most if not all of the configuration is there including the projects.  But none of the issues actually were migrated in.  (Or at least JIRA doesn't think so, I haven't checked through a DB query).  I have taken a second backup file during the middle of the night for that instance and I am getting the same results.  The source instance is on MySQL where the target is Oracle (not sure if that will make any difference).  

Any advice or suggestions? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2015

What does the log say is happening?  Is it just stopping dead?  Could you check the resource usage (E.g. high cpu/memory/disk activity during the first 90%, and then it drops to nothing as it stops, or does one/all of them continue high)

It is well worth checking the content of the Jiraissue table though - if that has lots of data, then the import has probably worked and it's the index that is broken - worth trying a manual (full, locking) index to see if that makes your issues appear.

Could you also check what JIRA is doing with the database?  Temporarily enable SQL logging while the import runs: https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-architecture/database-schema/logging-jira-sql-queries

Finally, do you have the subversion plugin installed?  This is known to jam imports sometimes.

Mark Lang March 29, 2015

Hi - so you have the correct answer with the index. That fixes the issue. I didn't enable SQL but I did go back and reimport the data one more time to fully answer your questions and provide a little more feedback about this. The log stops dead and doesn't really say anything. I'm not seeing a bunch of errors (a few warnings but nothing that looks serious). The resource usage drops to nothing. But if i try to log into JIRA it hangs as well. It takes stopping JIRA completely before I can log in again. And when I go to the Indexing page. The full,locking reindex isn't an option because it can't find or says the index is corrupted. If this was a one time thing for the export, I'd believe I just managed to hit a wrong time to take the export, but I did wait until no one was on the system before taking an export the second time. But I chose the Background re-index and it worked fine and all the issues started showing up. Thanks for your help. If you know anything about why the import just hangs when completed of if you think I might be missing anything in the JIRA instance (data/configuration/etc), please let me know but it looks like it has what I expected and needed. Thanks, Mark Lang

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2015

From what you've said, it actually sounds like there's something wrong with permissions or disk access to the index directory, but I'm not sure. I'd be tempted to move all the files in the index to a new place and see if you can use the full locking index (because that should always be a valid option)

Mark Lang March 29, 2015

i went back and tried to go through the entire process again (after things were working). I found that the second time through, the full locking index was now an accessible option. I went ahead and did that and it worked fine. I wonder if because I hadn't had any index data before and it was the first time, that was the reason that it was grayed out. I did double check the jira-home directory and made sure the account that runs JIRA owned all the directories and files in jira-home. And then to be triple sure, I went ahead and ran a chown -R on the whole jira-home again.

0 votes
Halil Saltık January 13, 2016

Restore Jıra data from Backup 90% problems about;

Update stored license or proceed under our evaluation terms !

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2016

I don't understand the question. The licence has nothing to do with the restoration problems Mark had.

Suggest an answer