Resolved By User state?

Joe Stewart September 26, 2017

Im wondering if a "Resolved By User" state exists anywhere in Jira. I noticed this (or similar) had been mentioned before but i wasnt able to find a definitive yes or no and most of the posts were quite old so i thought i'd raise it again. 

For my company and our projects this would be an extremely useful filtering state - at least the way we setup our workflows. i know there are workarounds to some extenet - like by choosing a specific user and date range and so forth but, while ive used that in the past, it doesnt work in the majority of cases im trying to solve.

So, just hoping for an update on this one way or the other.

Thanks! 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2017

It depends on what you mean by "state".

You could have that as a resolution option (so when a user closes an issue, they select "resolved by user" as the reason they're closing it)

You could build it into your workflows as an end status as well.

Or do you mean something else?

Joe Stewart September 26, 2017

Thanks for the quick reply Nic. I probably used 'state' incorrectly but i was unsure of what to classify it as. I'll lay out my current example im trying to work through below, but i know there have been instances over the past few years where this has also come up internally as 'useful option' 

1. Team member transitions an issue into a resolved state because they feel they solved the issue
  2. QA (or similar) determine the issue is not resolved and needs to be re-opened
  3. We set the issue to Re-Opened (an custom field we created)
  4. When setting this issue to "Re-Opened" i would like to automatically assign the issue back to the person who resolved it
  5. I attempt to edit the workflow by adding a post function to automatically handle the re-assigning

This is the point where i cannot find a way to get the issue back to the person who resolved it. My hope was to solve this issue (and others that may arise) by finding or creating a "Resolved By" state/field/option. Thats where i get stumped. 

I think there are more practical applications for this then my specific flow, this just happens to be whats blocking me at the moment. 

Thanks again for the help

Suggest an answer