Resolution screen only appears for certain issue types

motherg March 31, 2015

Allllrighty - I've discovered something that is now driving me insane. A team in my company has a workflow that displays the resolution screen when they transition from one status to another (in this instance it is from 'In Dev' to 'Awaiting Sign Off'). The issue is that it only appears for the Story issue type. The Bug issue types we have (and there are three of them - there shouldn't be that many here but there are, just roll with it for now) do not get the resolution screen displayed, and I can't work out why!

This is what I know:

• All issue types share the same workflow
  • The Story and Bug issue types have a different screen scheme but both Screen Schemes do not have the Resolution field listed
  • They have different Field Schemes, but the Resolution field appears on "two screens" in both these Field Schemes, which are covered by the common Screen Scheme mentioned above.

I know I'm missing something here but can I tell you what that something is? No, no I can't.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2015

Hi there,

Have you checked the field configuration for those issue types? My best guess is that different field configurations are being used by these issue types and that field is hidden in one of them.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

motherg March 31, 2015

Hi Clarissa, I believe I have yes, let me check again though. You know how easy it is to get lost in there!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2015

Are you 100% certain of "All issue types share the same workflow"?  Because the symptom you have suggests that the Stories are using a workflow that has a "transition screen" and the other types using one that does not.  The workflows might look the same, but just have minor differences like that.  Check by looking at the "workflow scheme" - does it really just list one workflow for "default" (or the same one repeatedly for all types including default)

Also, I'd chase up the "Field configuration scheme" - does that list different "field configuration"s for Story and Bug types?

(The screen schemes should not matter here - they handle Create, View and Edit, not the workflow screens)

motherg March 31, 2015

From what I can see Nic the answer is "yes" to them using the same workflow. As I can't insert an Image in the comment I will post another reply so you can see it. The Field config is the bit that concerns me, I'm going to dig deeper on that one, will post a screenshot of that too.

motherg March 31, 2015

Bang on, the field was hidden! No idea why anyone would choose to do that. Looks as if there is another resolution field in there too and that's a custom one. Eeeeesh, some people! Thanks Nic and @Clarissa Gauterio

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2015

Nice. You should never hide the *system* resolution screen (although not putting it on any screens is fine as long as it gets set and cleared by the workflow). I'd rename the custom one as well, as that's a bit silly and probably means something else :-)

0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2015

Glad to hear you were able to figure this out! I strongly suggest that you use the JIRA default Resolution field and not the custom one, as it won't work in the same way.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

0 votes
motherg March 31, 2015

Here's the screenshots:

Suggest an answer