Resolution field mandatory and not defaulting to blank

Nadine Harvey January 5, 2018

I keep trying to allow the resolution field to be active in my various issue screens, however, as soon as I activate the field users can't create a new issue or edit an existing issue without entering a resolution in the field.

There is no option (that I can find) that allows this field to stay as blank.

Because I can't get this field to work properly - none of my issues have been set as resolved and I just have a status for Closed and everyone has to create their own "open" issues list, as the system defaults won't exclude status = closed, only identifies Open as those that aren't resolved.  A bit irritating.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

Do not do this.

The intended use of the resolution field is for you to place it only on screens that are transitions into a closed type status (generally the green ones).  The field is working "properly", you just need to use it as it is intended. 

If you don't want to put it on a transition screen, then set it with a post-function instead (and don't forget to clear it on re-open type transitions)

You must never put it on a create or edit screen.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

Ok, that's quite confusing and does not sound like Jira.   Specifically:

> how do you automate a task to transition to the resolution screen I have setup? 

I'm not sure what you mean by "a task to transition to the resolution screen".  A transition is a path from one status to another, not to a screen.  However, transitions can have screens attached to them, which are popped up when you use the transition.

> The only transition that works for me is when I switch to Testing Required -

Do you mean you use a transition called "testing required"?  Not "switch to" (as I don't understand that)

>that workflow auto-opens a separate issue screen

Jira does not do that.  It can open a transition screen in the current window that asks for information and then takes you back to the issue view or board you were on before (i.e. it's not "separate")

Going back to the original question though, it remains quite simple - you need to put the resolution field on a transition screen when closing issues.

Nadine Harvey January 8, 2018

I'll close this question.  Unfortunately, I'm in the same place I was with this one a year ago.  I can't get a separate screen to open when I transition an issue (ideally, any screen with the Resolution fields) - I can't find any help documents on it and when I submit to support I don't get a response.  I'm obviously not explaining my missing information properly.    I'll continue with the process of not having issues in the resolved status - thanks for your patience.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2018

I really don't understand this.  Popping up a screen with a resolution on it is an incredibly simple standard function that we all use all the time, and it ships in some of the default workflows.

What happens when you try the following?

• Create a new screen
  • Put nothing but the resolution field on it
  • Create a new test project, selecting a simple workflow for it
  • Edit the workflow
  • Go to a transition in the workflow, ideally from "in progress" to "done".  Edit the transition and select your new screen for the "transition screen"
  • Publish the workflow

Create a new issue and move it through the workflow.  You will get a screen pop up with the resolution on it.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018

Hello,

The Resolution field is an important field in Jira. Mosty it means that the  issue is Resolved that is why you should link the field to a transition screen only if you really need the field to be filled. For example, if you resolve an issue then you have to provide a Resolution. You can not resolve an issue without a Resolution. If you do not resolve an issue then there is no need for the resolution field.  I guess you need to reconsider your current process.

Nadine Harvey January 5, 2018

Unfortunately, both of these answers bring me back to a question a year ago I sent to support which was how do you automate a task to transition to the resolution screen I have setup?  The only transition that works for me is when I switch to Testing Required - that workflow auto-opens a separate issue screen to allow entry of testing specific details before the item transitions over to the new status (this transition though was automatically configured - I didn't do anything to make this happen).  Anyone have a useful link to a help resource for this setup?

Suggest an answer