Resolution field is Required... is causing any update to the issue to tag issue as "Resolved"

Carlos Diaz March 25, 2014

I recently changed our workflow (using Jira on Demand V6.2) to include the following steps: Open >> In Progress >> Code Review >> AC Review >> Done. We were using Jira's Simplified Workflow, but wanted to insert the Code and Acceptance Criteria Reviews. Since I made that change the Resolution field (Status) is causing every issue to be resolved when any update is made to the issue. As simple as adding Story Points will cause the issue to be marked (crossed over) as "Resolved". The resolution label does not affect the behaviour at all. If I hide the Resolution fielf the problem goes away, but then we cannot tag issues as "Resolved".

There is no way for me to change the Resolution from Required to Optional. Also the issue stays "Resolved" even if I close it and Re-open it. NOTE: nI also have tried changing the final step to "Close" instead of "Done" and it has no effect on the problem.

Help. I am at a lost, anyone can suggest how to solve the problem? Is it a Issue Screen setting? Is it a Workflow Screen setting? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thx. CD

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2014

First, check that you have not got "resolution" on any screen where you do not want it set to something (it should only be on the view screen, and screens that go into status where you want a resolution set. It must not be put on create, edit or most transition screens)

Second, check the workflow for set/clear resolution post functions

Third, check your listeners for something that might set it.

(I suspect it's the first one though)

Thank you for your fast response. I will check your suggested areas for a fix, after my morning meetings and will update this question with results. Thanks!

0 votes
Carlos Diaz April 7, 2014

Nic, Mick.

Again, thank you for your help.

As it turns out, I was never able to pin point to the culprit "screen". However, your answers helped me solve the issue, by deleting all the automatically created screens (every time you create a new project) as well as screen from old workflows. I also deleted the resolution field from the issue form. And then lastly, I created a post function that Resolves issues when the move from "Review" to the "Done" state. The workflow now works as expected.

On the problem of Issues which were "crossed-out" as Resolved, but had not even been worked on; I had to clone them into new issues and then delete the ones that were crossed-out.

Thanks!

Carlos

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2014

Ah, there's a couple of other fixes for the broken issues (although they are variations on "amend your workflows" or "reopen and re-resolve them". Sorry it's too late!

0 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2014

Can you have a look at the workflow transitions, and see if there are any post functions present which will change the value of the resolution field? If these are present, you should remove them.

Whenever the resolution of an issue is set, it will get interpreted as being resolved, and there for it will crossed through

Thank you for your fast response. I will check your suggested areas for a fix, after my morning meetings and will update this question with results. Thanks!

Suggest an answer