Resolution field doesn't want to be "unresolved" during creation of an issue

Sylvain Brosset March 16, 2017

Hi,

I don't know how we mess the system but since 2 days each time we are creating a ticket/issue, the system refusing it and add to the screen the field "resolution" to force us to define a resolution status.

We don't want to "resolve" the issue at the creation.

This happens for all our projects whatever workflow/screen.

How to go back to the standard setup?

Thanks

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2017

The resolution field is not technically mandatory, but it does not have an "empty" value to select, so it always gets set if it is placed on a create or edit screen.

You must not put the resolution field on any create or edit field - only view or transitions into "end" type status.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2017

As Nic said, ANY time the field is presented on an edit screen it must be populated. It should ONLY be put on the transition screen used to set it. It will automatically appear in the issue details so there is no need to put it on any other screen than the transition ones. 

Alo Joosepson May 30, 2022

Thank you for this clarification. This helped me to configure it correctly.

0 votes

Hi everyone,

One of my colleagues added the field "resolution" to most of our projects... So thanks for your help, it helped us to point the human issue.

Regards. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2017

Not quite.

They added "resolution" to some of your Screens.  The field exists on all your issues (and hence projects) automatically.  It's always there.

0 votes

Thanks @Marcel Plomp.

No the field is not in the screen. But when I try to submit the issue to create it, it appears to request this field to be filled.

Marcel Plomp (inactive) March 16, 2017

The only option for the field Resolution is that it can be hidden. So maybe it is on the screen, but as a result of the settings, you will not see it.

The field is always mandatory. This cannot be changed as such an option is not available for the JIRA admins.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2017

>The field is always mandatory

I'm afraid that is incorrect.  The resolution field is NOT mandatory in JIRA terms.  It is optional.  It must be optional, because the users need to leave it empty until such a time as an issue is resolved.  The definition of a mandatory field is "it must have data in it".

So, the field is optional

If you put it on a screen that allows updating an issue though, then your users will fill it in because it always has a default setting, and no option to let them leave it blank.  Which is why you never put it on the create or edit screens, only transition screens to "end" status.

Your right. It is not mandatory.....but when it is on a screen you always have to select an option (or accept the default). So users experience this as a mandatory field as you can not leave it blank.

So you could say that is mandatory but not in the absolute sense of JIRA.

Pany Mahdavi June 27, 2017

Hi All,

I have admin rights and I am trying to configure fields in order to make resolution optional, in field configuration page/ Resolution, there is no optional or required tab to be clicked, do you have any idea how can I make resolution optional?

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2017

As described earlier, you can not do it.

You need to remove it from create and edit screens.

0 votes

If I understand it correctly, I would say that the field resolution is on the create screen.
Remove it from the create screen and it should be fine.

Suggest an answer