Resolution does not change to Resolved - even after Status is Done

cedarit November 12, 2013

This is on the OnDemand of Jira.

Even after changing the status of Issues on Jira to 'Done', the Resolution remains 'Unresolved'.

And there are no options to turn the resolution to 'Resolved'

12 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2013

It sounds like whoever setup the workflow didn't put in a transtion screen where you would set the resolution. Because the resolution field is always required it should only be presented during a transition. Another option would be to set it to a predetermined value with a post function behind the scenes during a transition.

cedarit November 12, 2013

I chose the default workflow. I have not used JIRA before . So I have accepted the defaults.
Interestingly, 4 out of 21 issues were marked as as "Resolved", while remaining remained unresolved even after status changed to "Done".
This is the screenshot of my workflow:

Like # people like this
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2013

Does the default workflow have a status Done? Or do you mean the status Closed?

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2013

Joe is correct, generally what you would want to do is either include the Resolution on the transition screen, or use a post action on that transition to set the resolution; by default this is not done.

Just a note on this; any value in the resolution field (even if it's "THIS ISSUE IS DEFINITELY NOT RESOLVED") indicates that the issue has a resolution, and is therefore resolved, so will show as resolved on gadgets and show up with a strike through the issue key to indicate it is resolved.

cedarit November 13, 2013

The default workflow:

Like # people like this
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2013

No doubt Joe is correct (I upvoted him).

As I suspected there are several transitions to Done status. So I think there is a post function setting the resolution to resolved (I guess from in progress to done) but now post functions from To Do to Done.

You can check that with following query

status was not in "IN PROGRESS" and resolution is empty

that query should show you all the unresolved issues (if I'm correct)

So in order to have always a resolution set you would need to follow Joes advice for all the other remaining transitions to Done as well.

Shaun Wickramaratne July 13, 2015

You can fix this issue with one simple step.

Steps are:

Go to particular work flow in edit mood

Select the transition you are having issue <just one click on it>

Then you should be able to see the Options section display on the right hand side with five option names

Click on the last one which is 'post Functions'

Then click on the "Add post function" button on the right corner

On the next page select the last radio button option which is <Update Issue Field>

Click Add button after select above radio button

Then on the next page select relevant names from two drop menus, ex: from first menu, select Resolution, from second menu, select fixed.

Task done. Good luck

Like # people like this
Ashley Schuster May 31, 2017

This helped me today. Thank you Shaun!

Mick Lang September 26, 2017

I think this only resolves the issue for jira tasks that have not already transitioned to done.  After making this change any task that transitions to Done will be marked as resolved.  But what about tasks that are already transitioned to done?  How do you get the tasks that are already Done to be marked as resolved?  It doesn't seem possible to transition from "Done" to another status so its not possible to use a transition to update "Done" tasks.

Like AJ Jenkins likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2017

Your workflow sounds like it doesn't have a transition out of "done" - you could add one and re-open and then re-close, or even add one which loops back to done and sets the resolution

A riskier option - wait until the users are offline, then add the resolution to the "edit" screen, use bulk edit to set it, then remove the resolution again.  Be very very careful to remove the resolution field from the edit screen, or your data will start to go wrong.

Or use ScriptRunner - it's got a canned script for "correct resolution on broken issues"

Robert July 19, 2018

Shaun Wickramaratne

Thank you for help

Sinead_Barry May 2, 2019

thank you shaun. a step by step guide is so so helpful. so often I leave these boards scratching my head more than when I came in because I am given a solution with no idea where to start at implementing it!

Thank you 

2 votes

For the records...

For a beginner this will be helpful: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-Addingatransition

Go to "Setting the Resolution Field"...

"

Setting the Resolution field

Within JIRA an issue is determined to be Open or Closed based on the value of its Resolution field — not its Status field.

• An issue is determined to be Open if its Resolution field has not been set.
  • An issue is determined to be Closed if its Resolution field has a value (e.g. Fixed, Cannot Reproduce).

This is true regardless of the current value of the issue's Status field (Open, In Progress, etc).

Therefore, if you need your workflow to force an issue to be Open or Closed, you will need to set the issue's Resolution field during a transition. There are two ways to do this:

HTH

1 vote

In continuation to what Joe has said, I would like to direct all begnners to the Adminstrator Guide.

Ofcourse JIRA is not subscribe and start in all cases. Thank everyone.

0 votes
Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2019

Try editing the workflow transition lines. If you go to the resolved tab in the workflow diagram you wish to edit or change. I have had to select the line from resolved to closed and put a transition in there. when you select the line the hit EDIT. When the window opens the options. select a transition in the drop down. You can add description for that transition if you wish also. Just need to make sure that it shows a resolved transition and this should fix the problem. Then you will need to save it by publishing the draft. It will not take affect on the older tickets but you can move those tickets to a different type of ticket and then should be able to resolve them in the transition from beginning of the process. These are the step i took to resolve my same issue. Hope it helps 

0 votes
Nadia Kotys March 20, 2019

Hello All,

Our company is using Jira Cloud new issue view. The Resolution screen was missed when setting up workflows so I've added that into the transitions and is working fine now. Team members are able to select a resolution type and can be considered as officially done in Jira.

I performed a bulk edit on all our "Closed" state issues to update the resolution which worked fine as well.

The issue I'm having is that my Created vs. Resolved gadget and report still do not reflect any resolved issues. The gadget and the report are only capturing created tickets. Since I've updated all issues and the team is currently using the resolution screen to select resolution type, why is the report and the gadget not updating accordingly?

Any guidance is much appreciated!

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2013

We can't see the detail on your transitions, but if it's working the way you expect, I'd say you got it!

0 votes

The modified workflow

0 votes

I have modified the workflow. I have tried doing what Joe suggested. I hope I am correct. Please see the new workflow screenshot attached. I have tested this workflow and it does what I expect-i.e., making if Resolved if status is changed to Done.

Plus I have also added "Waiting for Customer" ;)

Guess I am learning. Please confirm if did what joe meant.

[the screenshot image is not showing here, I have added it in next comment]

0 votes
Alexander Küken
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2013

Hi Pankaj,

did you check if the transition to the Done-state has a post-function configured to set the resolution? If not you have to set the resolution manually if you close a ticket. I am not sure how it is configured in the default workflow.

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2013

Pankaj, Joe has provided the correct answer, have you given that a try?

0 votes

The default workflow

0 votes
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2013
Hi pankaj May be in jiradb the status was not identified. So if you have jira admin perms then try to run "integrity checker". Before run make sure take the database backup. Hope this is helpful to you. Thanks, Patina
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2013

That is not right. You don't need a backup to run the integrity checker. The checker won't have any effect on this problem even if the status is wrong because the problem is with the resolution and not the status. Sorry, but I think you've misread the question!

rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2013

Hi Brough,

Thanks you for correction.

thanks,

Patina

Suggest an answer