Resolution choice drop-down

Susany March 27, 2015

How do you create a resolution drop-down choice set? So far I only found the Post function to "Updates a simple issue field to a given value."

I don't want a given field. I want the user to pick what the resolution is.

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2015

Go to Admin -> Issues -> Resolutions, and make sure the list of resolutions contains all the entries you need 

Then, go into the workflow and look at each transition that goes from an "open" type status (e.g. open, in progress, reopened) into a "closed" type status (e.g. resolved, closed) and look at the "transition screen" setting.  You need to make sure that the screen includes the field called "resolution".

Susany March 27, 2015

Thanks! I never used other screens before - as I always try to keep things simple and uncluttered - I'll give it a try on Monday first thing.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2015

Off the shelf, JIRA ships with a "resolve screen" which the default workflow uses as I've described above. If in doubt though, create your own new version of the screen and use that in your transitions. That way, you won't break anything unexpectedly, and you can use names that make it clear what you're doing.

Susany March 30, 2015

Hi Nic, I'm part way there, in that the user can touch Resolution and choose, but I'd rather have a Resolution screen pop-up when the transition to Resolve. I don't see other projects with the pop-up using more than one screen. It's maddening, really. However, I'll make a playground and see what I can do with a new version of the screen. Any hints on the pop-up?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2015

The "pop up" is the "transition screen". You absolutely do NOT want "touch Resolution and choose" because that means anyone going into edit the issue will break it.

Susany March 30, 2015

Thanks - I took Resolution field out. I also found Cody McDonald's answer which gave me steps to add a Validator and to Edit allowing me to choose a screen that pop's up. This is all good now, so I'm on to my next "why/how?"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2015

I'm not sure what you've done now. You do not want resolution on the edit screen, because that will break your data. And I don't know why you need a validator either. All you needed was a transition screen with the resolution on it.

0 votes
Ram Malapati December 19, 2017

I am not sure how to achieve this " I want to make Resolution filed a user selectable drodpdown" but I have followed what @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- suggested but still couldn't make it.

JIRA Resolution.jpg

went to wrokflow, checked all sort of transitions from Open state to closed state in Diagram and Text mode and then Transition screen settings I couldn't find where is this settings available. Please suggest a way to make resolution field a user selectable drop down.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2017

Look at a transition into the end status where you want them to select it

On the transition panel, click "edit", then choose a "screen" for it.

Make sure the screen you choose has "resolution" on it.

Ram Malapati January 11, 2018

Thank you, I remember changing the resolution and issue type fields to dropdown filters from Screens.

Suggest an answer