Resolution - Making the "Task" resolution process the same as "Bug"

CJ E March 25, 2014

So this is more of a "Is this a common thing or is this a big no no" type of question

We have experienced the similar issue to others with the SD Workflow in that setting a task to "Done" keeps the Resolution as "Unresolved". We managed to overcome that with the Post Functions option and so far it looks ok.

One thing that did occur though is that you seem to be able to set the Post Function so that it sets it to a specific Resolution, but what if different tasks required different resolutions? I went to Resolve Issue on a "Bug" work item and noticed that i had a pop up window/screen appear in which i can select which Resolution i want to assign to that bug (Fixed, Work for me...etc).

So my question is, is it approved good practice to mirror this so that the Task brings up a Resolution window when resolving it so you can choose which Resolution you would like to assign to it? I havent figured out how to do this yet but i'm guessing that if its possible on "Bug" then its possible on other workitems

Apologies for the essay, i just like to ensure i'm clear :-)

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2014

Yup. Good practice in this case is "do what works best for your reporting on resolution" I'm afraid. There's no hard and fast "right way to do it"

On a technical answer, you've pretty much answerede your own question!

You've got one off-the-shelf option - use different workflows for Bug and Task. You can set different post-functions on the "resolve issue" transitions. Use the same "set resolution" function, but with different settings. OR, you can remove the post-function entirely, edit the transition and give it a "transition screen". If you select a screen that includes the field "resolution", then the users will be asked to set one as they go through the transition.

Another option is a bit of code in a post-function (hint, script runner plugin) - that can say "if bug, set resolution 1, if anything else, set resolution 4"

0 votes
CJ E March 25, 2014

We dont currently have the Resolve Screen set to appear on "Task" workitems when resolving them, it just sets the status/resolution automatically.

My instinct was that the Resolution window should pop up, i will look into adding this to our "Task" work item type

thank you for your helpful response

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2014

Oh, one last thing - don't use a screen and a post-function together on the same transition. Most post-functions are simple "do this" functions, so if you use a screen that allows the user to set a resolution, a post-function that sets resolution following it will stomp all over what they've just chosen.

(Unless you write a post-function that examines what the user just did and chooses not to overwrite it)

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2014

Resolution is always set on post-functions whenver it is part of some automated operation or when end user wants always to have the same resolution set, it's a bad practice to do it everytime thats why "Resolve screen" which is a pop-up window to ask the user what kind of resolution it is.

Resolution can be duplicate, won't fix, rejected, fixed etc etc thus I feel it's very important to have the resolve screen on the final transition so we can set the resolution.

Suggest an answer