Reset the Issue Sequence to 0 in Jira 4.4.5

Harish September 12, 2012

Hi,

We have deleted all the issues created in Jira. And now we would like to start afresh.

But then when i try to create an issue, the Issue Key takes the next sequence number instead of 1.

We want the issues to start with 1 now again after cleanup.

Is there a way to re-set the sequence to 1.?

Please let me know, its pretty urgent.

Thanks,

Harish

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2012

Delete the project and re-create one with the same key. You'll need to re-apply all the schemes and users in the new project.

Harish September 12, 2012

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the response.

But it is very tedious process to delete all projects and re-create them . And more over assigning the users to each project takes more time.

May i know if there is any other workaround may be setting some configuration file.

Please advice.

Thanks,

harish

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2012

No. There's no other way in the UI.

You can do it directly in the database. This particular SQL is relatively simple and safe compared with other things people make a mess of with SQL - you set the pcounter on each project you need to reset in the "projects" table.

But, with SQL, there is no easy option - you have to stop Jira, get a backup of the database, prove it's a good backup, run the SQL, then restart Jira and re-index. (If you are only changing the counters in the project table, you do not need to re-index, unless you've got plugins that may be storing extra data about your projects)

Harish September 13, 2012

Hi Nic,

Thanks a lot for the response.

It really worked for me.This was very helpful.

Thanks,

Harish.

Samson March 21, 2017

Where is the SQL?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2017

I'd suggest starting again, rather than necroposting on a 5 year old question.

David LeVack April 21, 2017

Since this was the right answer, it would make sense to have the response in this threat instead of now searching for SQL.  But why bother consolidating. 

4 votes
Jason Rogers December 14, 2018

I know I am 6 years late with my answer... but I am going to give it anyway. When I needed to reset my projects issue key, I cloned the project and gave the clone a different name/key. Checked all the notification scheme, screen scheme, workflow conditions/post actions etc copied over, then deleted the original and gave the clone the original project name/key. Worked fine. Took 5 mins. Merry Christmas. J

jvl_share January 8, 2020

Thanks Jason for your comment, it helped me.

David Valle July 31, 2020

thanks jason 

Suggest an answer