Reset password for a faceless account

Aviad Pines September 12, 2017

I have a user that I use for automation, it has a 'faceless' email, i.e. an email I can register the user with but cannot actually access the email. 

How can I reset the password for such a user? the only option that I see is 'reset password' which sends an email...

3 answers

0 votes
lynn sparks July 4, 2023

hello pls help me my email is lynnacrona@gmail.com i need my password to be change pls 

0 votes
Pablo Armani4 November 11, 2022

Can’t open my faceless 

0 votes
David Di Blasio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2017

Hi Aviad,
Provided this user is totally unable to log in, a JIRA administrator should be able to manually modify the users password to a known one through the steps documented in the Change Password section in the article below:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/create-edit-or-remove-a-user-828787670.html

From here the user can then optionally log in and modify the account to their desired password as described in the article below:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira062/changing-your-password-588581678.html

Let us know if this helps.

Cheers!

I'm trying to follow the steps under Edit a user -> Change a password:

1. Select Settings -> User Management.
  2. Find the user in the user list using the filter form at the top of the page.
  3. Click on the username. <- I cannot click on the username, only the full name
  4. Choose Actions > Set Password. <- I don't have "Actions", only 
  5. Enter and confirm the new password, and click the Update button to finish.

Perhaps these menus were changed after this section was written and it was not updated? Please advise...

David Di Blasio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2017

On step 3 I can see the same behavior when I look at a local instance so this may be expected now. As far as why there's no actions section - off the top of my head there's 2 things that come to mind:

1. The instance is connected to LDAP or some other external user directory. 

2. This is an instance hosted by Atlassian in our Cloud offering. 

Yes this is a cloud instance... How can I set the password on cloud?

David Di Blasio
Atlassian Team
September 12, 2017

Aviad, 

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately a valid email address will be required as the password reset proceedure as this is currently required on the Cloud platform. This is a temporary workaround until we introduce app-specific passwords, which will allow BOT accounts to access your site securely without verifying the email address. More on this scenario can be found in the following article on Atlassian ID. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/the-upgrade-to-atlassian-account-873871204.html

Thanks for the repsonse.

When is this expected to be released?  This is a must behavior for our automation (and frankly a very basic one).

Suggest an answer