Reset or Change JIRA Key Number

Jira Admin March 11, 2015

I recently imported issues from an old version of JIRA to a new version of JIRA and forgot to remove the key mappings. My new project should be in the single digits (i.e. DEV-8) but since the imported issues were in the 1700s, the numbers carried over. Now all newly entered issues are in the 1700s (i.e. DEV-1789). I want to reset or change the Key numbers so that we are creating them in order rather than having them separated by 1700+

Is this possible? Please note we are using the ondemand service.

2 answers

1 vote
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2015

If there are no real JIRA issues for the project, you can rename the project and its project prefix key then then recreate the project under the correct name.

If you have real JIRA Issues you can still do the rename and then bulk move those issues over.   You will most likely end up with new project key numbers, but you will not have your gap.

I suggest doing the rename verses deleting the project just in case you need to undo your changes.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2015

No.  You can only reset the numbers with a couple of hacks (mostly changing the counters in the database directly).  You can't do these hacks on Cloud.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2015

I would try contacting Jira Cloud support and see if they can help you.

Suggest an answer