Reset admin password JIRA 7 H2 database

Daniel Luevano September 26, 2017

Hi, 

Is there a way I can reset the admin password on an instance with the next characteristics:

• Server
  • JIRA 7.2.2
  • H2 db

I tried to follow the directions on the Atlassian documentation but when I open the H2 query UI, I only see the USERS table.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2017

So I tried to follow this KB, and at first I ran into problems getting this to work as well.   In my case, I found that the problem was the JDBC URL that I was using.   But I did find that the instructions in Accessing JIRA's H2 embedded database where accurate in getting this work.

The default value in that field was something like

jdbc:h2:~/

But I found that I needed to lookup the specific path of the Jira H2 database from the JIRAHOME/dbconfig.xml and use that value:

jdbc:h2:file:/Users/username/jira/750/jira/database/h2db

It is also very important to Stop Jira first.  When I stopped Jira, and used this value in the dbconfig file, I was able to connect to the database and see all the expected Jira tables.  For me the confusing part was that you can enter just about any value for the JDBC URL and still connect.  So it isn't always clear why those tables would not appear.  

Since you're not seeing the Jira tables, I suspect that your URL is incorrect and in turn you are not actually connecting to the Jira database as expected.

Once you can do that, you should then be able to follow the steps in Retrieving the Jira Administrator password.

But I would still recommend getting away from the H2 platform entirely.  (Mostly because it's not particularly stable, and is known to be easily corrupted if still running when the OS is shutdown.)  The steps in JIRA How to migrate from HSQL database to an external database explain the way move your data to a more reliable platform.

Daniel Luevano September 28, 2017

Thanks,

This is a sandbox instance, but you're right I better will create a new database because I can actually enter to the Query UI but I cannot still see the tables. Thanks for your answer.

Suggest an answer