Required fields

paul.devereux@irislegal.co.uk January 30, 2013

I have a need for a field to be Mandatory when an issue is moved from 1 issue type to another however the field should not be mandatory if a new issue is created directly.

For example:

I require a "Considered Response" field to be mandatory when moving a T3 Incident issue type to be a Defect issue type.

I do not require this information, and it would not be known, if a user is creating a Defect issue type directly in the project.

Is this possible, and if so how would I best achieve this?

Many thanks in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2013

Field configurations are flat. If a field is mandatory for an issue, it is mandatory. So you can't do it.

What you could do is have different workflows for each issue type, and place "field is mandatory on transition" validators on them. This would not stop someone moving an Incident to a Defect, but they would not be able to transition through any workflow until the field was filled in (obviously, you don't validate the field on "create defect")

0 votes
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

Since you want the customfield only to be mandatory on certain transition, you can try using the Jira Suite Utilities and add the Fields Required Workflow Validator on the transition where you are moving the T3 Incident Issue Type to the defect Issue Type.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer