Required fields

Marcus Hill August 4, 2014

Hi everyone,

i am trying to create a required custom field (lets call it test field) for a particular transition screen to display when closing an issue (transitioning from completed to closed). i go through the usual roots of going to field configurations and then selecting "required" for that particular field, NOTE: I have only selected one screen for this particular field to appear on (close issue scren).

However when i try to create an issue, the notice "'test field' is required" appears, although i have not even assigned this field to the create issue screen, only the close issue screen. the field does not even appear on the create issue screen, yet this error still appears.

Is this a bug, or am i just being stupid and missing somthing obvious? Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2014

Yes, you're missing the way Jira works.

The "field is mandatory" flag has nothing to do with screens. If a field is mandatory, you must fill it in. So it has to be on the create screen, because your users need to fill it in. That's it.

To make fields mandatory later in the lifecycle of the issues, you use validators on the workflow transitions (like "can't complete the close transition without something in the "root cause" field")

For this case, you should make the field optional, then use a validator on the complete -> closed transition.

Marcus Hill August 5, 2014

ah, i see. But there are only two options on the validators for the completed --> closed transition, which are permission validator and user permission validator. How do you customise a validator?

Suggest an answer