Required fields issue creation screen vs required fields in transition screens - any difference ?

Christophe Leite July 28, 2013

Hi,

I have finished a workflow.

I declared a certain number of fields, of which some are required, others optionals. Then, I made required certain fields only contained on my transition screens. When I returned on my issue screen creation and I filled all the obligatory fields, JIRA shows me an error message to indicate that I had not filled such or such required field (wrting about fields nly contained in my transition screens). Have you ever met this problem ?

Perhaps I did not understand how field configuration works int JIRA ? Then, is it necessary to create a script to check all required fields of my screens transition, without declaring them as being required in the confguration field ? (as required fields of issue creation screen).

Sorry for my english.

Best regards,

Christophe

1 answer

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2013

Jira does not do mandatory fields on screens.

The field configuration tells it what fields are mandatory on the whole life of an issue. So if a field is mandatory, it's mandatory on create, edit, every transition and so-on. It does not care if the issue is not on a screen, if it's mandatory, it's mandatory.

There is, of course, a work-around. Make the fields optional, and then you can add "validators" to your workflow, that say "field X must be filled in to proceed with this transition". That will not stop people blanking out data in "edit", but it will stop them doing things like resolving incidents without filling in the "root cause" field.

You'll need a plugin to provide that validation, but there are several that provide it for free - I usually stick to the Jira Suite Utilities.

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2013
Here is some documentation relevant to @Nic 's answer. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Using+Validators+with+Custom+Fields
Like Yannik.Ohler likes this
A January 13, 2015

Thanks man helped me big tym

Dean Del Ponte April 15, 2020

Is this still true in Jira cloud today (2020)? 

I would like to make a field required on some screens but not on others.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2020

Yes, mandatory fields are mandatory throughout, not by screen.

Stefano Vidonis June 9, 2020

Is there any way to configure how the red "announcements" this field is required  is displayed. I see a quite disturbing big red squared frame that shows all the required fields on the top of create screen. Quite distubing for som users.. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2020

No, that's fixed I'm afraid.

Like Stefano Vidonis likes this

Suggest an answer