Required custom field only on one screen

Vladimir Avdeev December 17, 2012

Steps:

1. Create custom field (required, number)
  2. Field associated only on "Resolution screen"

When I create task, I get an error that the field is blank, but this field not found on this screen.

What to do?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

Hi there.

Once you set the field to be required then jira would required this field to be filled on any transition in the workflow. Putting this field up only on one screen makes it invisible to the user on the rest of the screens yet it is still required to have any value. So the problem is, as a user you can't set the value on the invisible field :)

The best way is to use a FieldsRequired validator from Jira Suite Utilites plug-in. Set the field to be non-required gobally, and o the particular screen when you want it to be visible, enable the field and set the validator to require this field only in this transition.

Validators can be set when you go to workflow, edit it, click on the particular transition, click validators, click "Add" and choose FieldsRequired. Remember to publish the worflow draft afterwards! :)

If anybody's answer helped you to solve your problem, please be sure to click "accept" button on the particualr answer :)

I already tried to use Jira Suite Utilites plug-in. And I create new workflow, edit "resolve" transition - added validator. This is worked fine. But i can not made this changes in default workflow and made Draft for default workflow.

I should change workflow schemas for all projects? (more 30 projects)

Or I can add custom workflow to Default Workflow Scheme?

Thanks for the answer anyway! :)

Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

As far as I know, you cannot set custom worflow to be system's default (but I might be wrong).

If that's true than yes, it may require to change workflow schemes for all projects.

Ok, thanks!

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2012

For error :

field require validator is configured on create issue transition due to this it is showing error message

0 votes
Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2012

The field required validator from JIRA Suite Utilities would help you to achieve the first option. It would check the validation during the workflow transition.

As for second option, you either need to add the field to the screen when you create it or go to the screen option in JIRA administration then add it manually.

Suggest an answer