Required Fields That are hidden on certain screens

Tim Moore January 14, 2013

I am new to Jira so please forgive me if this question has been addressed before.

My company is in the process of evaluating Jira for our bug/agile tracking solution. We are currently using Pragmatic. I have FINALLY been able to get my Workflow/Custom Fields/Custom Screens etc set up the way I want. However, here is my current blocker...

I have custom screens set up for each status transition. On these custom screens certain custom fields are needed depending on the screen. I need the ability to have a custom field "Required" on one screen but hidden on other screens. So far what I am finding is that if I make a field "Required" then it is "Required" on ALL screens even if it is hidden.

I find it hard to believe that this is the way that Jira works. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

--
Tim Moore

SQA Manager
WSI Corporation

7 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2013

Hi Tim,

Instead of configure a field as "Required" in your Field Configuration Scheme, you might want to use a workflow transition validator. This way you can configue fields to be required only on the transitions you want them to, opposed to all. The specific validator you should be looking for is "Fields Required"

Information on validators can be found here

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2013
3 votes
Anthony E July 13, 2019

You can use Configuration Scheme to do this, Copy the current scheme for the issue type with the optional field, name it to something close to what you copied it from, then delve in to the settings and then choose the field you want as" Required" everything else stays the same but the only change will be the optional field you have made required. Save and update the scheme. Then assign that scheme an issue type and then in the project settings, in Configuration settings, add the new scheme to your project.

So when in Issue type A, the screen shows with that options for the field optional, and when you are in issue type B the screen will show as required for the same field. I think this is what you need to do. Long winded but does the job, you got to be admin to do all these though.   

Prashant Samal July 9, 2020

This is actually a correct way in which JIRA is designed.

1 vote
cpiombetti July 9, 2013

I find hard to believe that a product in its sixth version does not allow a field to be set as mandatory where it is needed using its purpose-built 'Mandatory' parameter. Using a transition validator does not allow to show in advance which fields are mandatory (unless we apply another patch to JIRA by adding an asterisk within the field itself...).

Very disappointed for the money I gave Atlassian.

1 vote
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2013

You have to use a plugin for this.

Please refer the question https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/122831/in-field-configuration-if-i-provide-field-required? for more info. But, not sure whether you can use it in OnDemand JIRA. I haven't tried onDemand yet.

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2018

You could use Scriptrunner behaviours to fine tune screen behaviours like mandatory, hidden etc.

0 votes
codecentric AG August 22, 2016

You can use the Workflow Essential Plugin for that. In shows you an asterisk in advance for every transition you need to make the field mandatory.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/de.codecentric.jira.wes/server/overview

0 votes
Operations Superviso Jira 2 December 12, 2013

Hi,

I need also to configure this feature ("Required" custom fields on one screen but hidden on other screens). In my OnDemand version I cannot find the workflow transition validator "Fields Required". Could somebody help me?

Thanks

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2015

For the record, JIRA Suite Utilities doesn't seem to be enabled by default and would need to be enabled by an Administrator.

Suggest an answer