Require login / authentication for Issue Collectors

Justin Harringa September 25, 2012

If a user isn't already logged into JIRA, is there a good way to get users to log into JIRA in order to submit something to an Issue Collector? I am thinking that if they can be listed as the reporter they can immediately get feedback from us if we do anything instead of us manually adding them as the reporter if they enter some details wrong or if their information hasn't made it into JIRA yet from Active Directory (e.g. they've never logged into JIRA to get a provisioned user). Further, if they haven't made it into JIRA yet we wouldn't be able to add them as a reporter. Is there a reason why we'd prefer to try and have them manually enter their name and e-mail (an honest question as we're still fairly new to JIRA)?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 25, 2012

Two points:

• Enable "<label style="float: none; display: inline; left: 0px; margin: 0px; width: auto; color: #333333; font-family: arial, tahoma, verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px;" for="collector-match-reporter">Attempt to match user session of submitter or submitter email address</label>" in "Match Reporter?"
  • Add an extra banner in the Issue collector (or just select custom trigger and add the below hint to the 'Message' field) [what I used :)]

Please login to JIRA (http://servername) in another browser tab so that your user details are automatically captured. This enables faster feedback on the issues that you report. Issues reported with manually specified email and name will have to processed by a human being before it reaches the respective department.

Justin Harringa January 2, 2013

Thanks Renjith! This is more along the lines of what I was thinking. It'd be nice if JIRA were able to detect that there isn't a match and pop up a login box but I can understand that there's a lot of complexity to that.

5 votes
Pavel Zubov September 16, 2016

Hi!

You can try Customer Case add-on for JIRA Cloud. It allows you to run a customer portal with several forums for idea or ticket submission.

Your customers can create personal accounts (JIRA license is not affected here) or seamlessly log in to with their social accounts (Facebook or Google+).

For more details, please see:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/customer-case-for-jira/cloud/overview

0 votes
Justin Harringa December 18, 2012

Yeah, I was just thinking that the Issue Collector might be a nice way to integrate JIRA with an application without having to write custom code via the API. That and the diagnostic information it includes looks pretty nice. The thought would be that if they log in we get their name/e-mail without requiring them to do data entry and we'd also know that it's valid. It's mostly a question of being able to have a bit more process efficiency for those who auto-map JIRA users with their LDAP.

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 18, 2012

Hi Justin,

I believe issue collector is for non-jira/anonymous user to raise any feedback/comment/opinion in JIRA system. If you want them to login, I guess they can use create issue link in JIRA system instead of issue collector.

For issue reporter you may assign to any jira user to act as a representative of non jira user to report the issue and mainly depend on how you manage on it.

There are no absolute reason to really need their name and email in Issue Collector. In my opinion, I think is easier for us to reach the user/client. Moreover, the field is optional to be set in Issue Collector form.

I hope you can refer more information about using the Issue Collector from here.

All the best,

John Chin

Justin Harringa December 18, 2012

Yeah, I was just thinking that the Issue Collector might be a nice way to integrate JIRA with an application without having to write custom code via the API. That and the diagnostic information it includes looks pretty nice. The thought would be that if they log in we get their name/e-mail without requiring them to do data entry and we'd also know that it's valid. It's mostlya a question of being able to have a bit more process efficiency for those who auto-map JIRA users with their LDAP.

Suggest an answer