Reproducible examples of an issue key that identifies more than one issue?

Keiei Tanto _Vivid_ April 26, 2015

It seems possible for an issue key to identify more than one issue simultaneously, and vice versa. In what circumstances is this possible and how can those circumstances be reproduced? I want to see this in action myself.

Two approaches I can offer:

• Renaming an existing project (ID = 10005) key from ABC to DEF, and then creating a new project (ID = 10073) with (overlapping) project key ABC. Issue #1 from the former project #10005 is then identifiable with issue keys DEF-1 and ABC-1. Issue #1 in the latter, newly-created project #10073 is mapped to ABC-1. In this situation, ABC-1 refers simultaneously to two issues: issue #1 in project #10005, and another issue #1 in project #10073.
  • Project keys are alphabet-wise identical, but actually differ by case. For example, there are two projects, with keys "xyz" and "XYZ". Using JIRA's Quick Search to search for "xyz-1" or "XYZ-1" returns both issues in either case, keyed by "XYZ-1" and "xyz-1".

For example, these API calls have signatures and implementations that indicate the premise is indeed possible, such as:

Also, what is best practice in handling such issues?

I ask in the context of an add-on developer targeting JIRA version 5.1 and newer + systems whose data has been upgraded from older versions where rules may have differed. This topic affects developer awareness, vendor's customer education & customer support activities, and JIRA plugin technicalities.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2015

Yes, lots, almost every JIRA in the world is using "issue links".  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Linking+Issues

Keiei Tanto _Vivid_ April 27, 2015

Your reply serendipitously provides validation to my situation. But I chose the wrong wording -- sorry about that. Updated question.

Suggest an answer