Reports for Multiple Teams working from a Single Backlog or Project

Steve Andrews February 2, 2017

I have multiple teams working on the same project with a single backlog.  Can I generate individual team reports (sprint burndown, story cycle time etc) as well as a whole project report for cumulative flow covering all teams?

Is this configuration (single JIRA project, multiple team boards) the best way to set this up or should I use multiple JIRA projects (one per team) and then create a rolled up cumulative flow via some other mechanism?

Advice gratefully received; thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2017

Steve,

It is totally up to you to create multiple projects or same project. One thing to consider here is that there is no cumulative rolled up burn down charts out of the box. You can have one board for multiple projects by creating a filter for them. In any case the burndown charts you will get will be for a specific sprint.

If the teams are doing similar work contributing towards a single big project, then in that case probably you will be better with one project and multiple boards under it.

-Ravi

Steve Andrews February 3, 2017

Thanks Ravi, very helpful.  

If we set it up then as one project with multiple boards sounds best.  We can define which stories are worked on by which team with the Team field.  Presumably then the same filter which creates the individual team boards can be used to see the reports by team (for Sprint Burndown); and the whole project with no filters could be used to see a Cumulative Flow report across the entire project (ie all teams)?  Make sense?

0 votes
Damian Tremlett December 12, 2017

Steve - would be good to know how this went -  

I'm also trying to work out the best configuration.

We have multiple projects and multiple teams. Some projects are worked on by multiple teams, and some teams work on multiple projects.

We also want to track BAU workload, which some teams also have - 

Considering setting up one "project" for each team where they can manage all tasks. then setting filters for boards that track projects.  

Any thoughts or advice welcome. 

Steve Andrews December 13, 2017

Hi Damian

After much discussion... we went with a single project, multiple scrums; backlog split by 'Responsible Team' and much use of components.  

This worked well for us within the concept of the one big project but now we have delivered that we've learned and developed our thinking further, including need to incorporate the operational BAU workload across the whole IT function.  Which has led us now to somewhere slightly different but which also supports the project delivery piece.

So we now have Jira Projects by Product (eg we have a CRM Product/Project and a Reporting Product/Project).  All work that touches that product, regardless of source, goes into the Jira backlog for that Product and is worked on when it is prioritised.  It forces a lot more discussion between Project Managers and Product Owners and much more holistic working across teams.  Still early days and many teething issues which we've overcome but I genuinely believe this is the best model for any organisation wanting to move to Agile delivery models, including within the BAU/Operations space.  Still got some ITIL folk to win over :-).

Damian Tremlett December 13, 2017

Steve - thanks.

We're going to try one 'JIRA project' per team allowing each team to set their 'components' and team managers to set workflows. We'll use boards to represent our 'projects' which cross cut the teams.

Based on what I know, this makes sense, but please shout if you see any pitfalls in this plan.

- good luck with those ITIL folk.

Steve Andrews December 13, 2017

Sounds good and similar to our approach.  We've also bought Portfolio for Jira which sits above and gives that holistic view very nicely.  Happy to share more offline as well - not everything is good for a public forum.  PM me at andrews.stephenc@gmail.com if you like.

Suggest an answer