Reporter gets notified on every change- even if they are set to receive no notifications

Jacob Jaskolka October 13, 2014

I haven't located any settings that would disable the reporter getting EVERY notification about the ticket they put in. Right now, the reporter gets an email notifying of every change and they are not in the notification scheme at all. Whether it is just a comment or any change to the issue, they get an email. I need to find a way of stopping this so the reporters don't get inundated with emails, and then start to ignore them.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I can't mark a comment as the answer but this is it:

Jobin Kuruvilla

If it is not the notification schemes, look for out plugins. Maybe something like the "Send custom email" script from script runner? I have seen it used by many.

We have the service desk add-on (which needs some serious work as much base functionality is not there) but apparently that add-on had a setting on a page all by itself that enabled this.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2014

Could you try this test for us?

1.  Go into a reporter's profile and make sure the "email me on my own changes" is definitely turned off.  
  2. Then get them make a change to an issue and see if they get an email.

Also, could you check if they are a "watcher" on the issue?

Done, I visually verified that the user had notify of own changes disabled. The reporter is also not a watcher on the ticket, (regardless- there is not a single notification that goes out to watchers at the moment). We put in a new test ticket and the reporter gets emailed still about every change that occurs.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2014

If it is not the notification schemes, look for out plugins. Maybe something like the "Send custom email" script from script runner? I have seen it used by many.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2014

Ok, that makes it really clear - it is not JIRA sending the emails directly. It's definitely not the notification scheme. So now we need to look at the other two possibilities. 1. The reporter is being mailed accidentally Go back to the notifications and look at who DOES get the emails. For the issue you've just tested, look at every user - do they have an email address that is a single user or a group emailing list? 2. This is most likely now you've ruled out JIRA. You've got a post-function or listener installed that is sending extra emails. I've not really focussed on how until now, but if you are getting emails when an issue is EDITED (not shoved through the workflow), then you can be sure that it is a LISTENER doing this. Go to Admin -> Listeners and find it, and kill it. If you're only getting mail on transitions, then it could still be a listener, but is more likely a post-function. Same advice, kill it. Finally, if you're unsure, it may be worth posting a simple list of all your user-installed plugins here - we might be able to point oyu at a potential culprit.

Suggest an answer