Reporter ([email]) does not have permission to create an issue.

Trav August 25, 2014

For our incoming mail handler we were using the "Create Users" setting until we had to finally buy a license for JIRA and that setting became untenable. So we switched to using a default reporter. However, when I test the mail handler, it gives me the error "Reporter ([email]) does not have permission to create an issue". At first it seemed that maybe this was because I had made all the users inactive and an inactive user could not create an issue. But I deleted a user and tried again to create an issue through that email and it still doesn't come through. Active users have no trouble creating issues through email, it just seems to not process emails from non-users.

Advice? Thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trav August 26, 2014

Figured out the issue. The default reporter account did not have sufficient permissions to create issues in that project. Woof.

0 votes
Muthukumar.Ramu July 14, 2020

How to provide the permission. Please help

0 votes
Diego Zarpelon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2014

Hey Trav.

Actually that's the expected behavior. Your reporter needs to have a pre-existent and enabled account within JIRA to proper create an issue.

Trav August 26, 2014

So even if I uncheck create users and set a default reporter, anyone who emails in an issue who has an email that's not associated with a JIRA acount wont get through?

So it seems that this mail handler test error is specifically referring to users that I made inactive and now don't have permission to post (I'm slowly going through the highly tedious process of changing the reporter on all their old tickets and deleting all their old comments so I can delete these users).

However, even users which have no associated acct in JIRA are unable to have issues created in JIRA through email...

Suggest an answer