Report on time spent across all issue types in given period

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2014

Is there a pure JQL query (without an add-on) to get this?

I want to report on how much time was spent over the past 30 days doing production support vs. forward development. I can get the below collection, but using the SumofTimeSpent column, there is no way I can come up with to discern time logged only in the past 30 days. In other words, I need to find out the sum of work logs recorded in the past 30 days and determine how much was against production support and how much was against story. By the way, alll work logs in my instance are on subtasks - there is nothing on the parent, by design.

issuetype in ("Production Support", "Story")
  AND
updated >= -30d

3 answers

1 vote
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2014

...let me ask it another way then...why is the work log object not accessible via JQL? How do we get time out of JIRA between a given duration?

0 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2014

Without Tempo (I am probably going to go there for next year), how do you solve this, gang? There must be someone out there trying to get similar type of data? Thx in advance.

Philip Culver August 16, 2017

I'm interested in this as well, but I see know answers that don't involve a plugin. It seems odd that this isn't built-in functionality. The work logs are all timestamped...

Wish I could have helped.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2017

I ended up purchasing the Tempo Timesheets add-on for my atlassian cloud. While Tempo is good, there is a fundamental flaw that no one anywhere seems to care about...

Tempo Timesheets, as of this writing at least, continues to have no concept of issue lineage so there is no such report that can identify the parent issue to which the subtasks beloing to for roll-up billing information. So, if in your instance, you have no work logs on parent issues like me, and you're expecting to be able to get a report presenting all of the story summaries with the hours spent on each, you cannot achieve this. For my billing needs, I'm forced to yield a pretty nice Tempo report displaying an Account, but I must also cobble together a secondary report that presents the list of parent issues that were worked with that data. Those interested in a billing perspective, don't care to read all of the low level subtask summaries, but they certainly need to understand the top level parents (stories, etc) that defines the business capabilities to assess where the money was spent.</endrant>

Philip Culver August 16, 2017

Ouch. Sorry you're dealing with that. That too seems like something that should be built-in functionality in Tempo... It's very odd that these otherwise amazing tools have these types of "gotchas" that I'd assume many people are not happy about...

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2017

Here is the struggle if you want to understand or contribute more, Philip.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/Tempo-Parent-issue-rollup-report/qaq-p/40782 

0 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014

Anything, gang? Is there something similar that you do to answer this type of question?

Suggest an answer