Report number of Jira projects over time

Rodney Sawyer February 19, 2015

I am doing some forecasting and what I really want to know is how the size of JIRA has changed over time.  I have already pulled the number of issues in JIRA for the last 4 years, but that just tells a portion of the story.  

Is there a way to get the number of projects we had 3 years ago?  Obviously, from the System Info I can get a lot of information for today, but is there anyway to get some of that information from 3 years ago (or some other time frame) ?  Agile Boards, Users, Workflows, Custom Fields, etc would all be nice to know when forecasting growth.   

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2015

For the last few years, it is not possible. But going forward, you should be able to do this with the new "Audit Log" functionality in JIRA. It now logs the key events like project creation, custom field creation etc. You should be able to pull that data from DB and do some forecasting or write a plugin that does the same.

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2015

Using the Better Excel Plugin, you can export any property of any object in the JIRA model, and analyze the data set in Excel.

For example, write a little Groovy script for the plugin that gets the ProjectManager from JIRA internals, queries all projects from it, and then create a simple Excel template that renders each project with its creation date in a separate Excel spreadsheet line. You can then easily graph this data.

You can apply the similar idea to boards, users, workflows, custom fields, etc.

The limitation in this is that if an object was deleted any time (i.e. it is not existing right now), then it will not appear in the report.

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2015

For tracking issue count as one metric the Created vs Resolved gadget helps

0 votes
amit raj February 19, 2015

hi robin,

could you please explain- "But going forward" do you mean to say - with JIRA 6.4 version we have audit log functionality ?

or do we have this feature in current 6.3.13

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2015

Suggest an answer