Replying to JIRA Service desk email does not add comment

Craig Day August 27, 2015

We are trying to set up JIRA Service Desk (cloud) and I am running into an issue.

I can create an service request just fine through the portal using a pseudo-customer account for testing. When the service desk agent comments (publicly) on the issue an email is sent to the customer. However, if the customer responds to the email nothing happens. I was expecting the email response to then be added to the Issue comments.

Is this not supported? Do customers have to go back to the portal and leave a comment there? 

7 answers

0 votes
Michele Harashe March 18, 2021

I am having this exact same issue after migrating an older stack to our newer stack. Customers receive emails on comments from the Service Desk Project issues, but their replies are lost. They do not post back to the Issue comments. We have a separate mail handler set up for each of our service desk projects so I'm not sure why this is occurring.

0 votes
realmail fix May 30, 2020

Click Bottom Left Apps Icon > Jira > Jira Settings > System > Incoming Mail (Underneath Mail) > Click Add POP / IMAP mail server.

Other Option:

Jira also would look at the sharing settings under: Project Settings > Customer Permissions Please see Managing access to your Service Desk for more details. If the user who emails doesn't have a customer account, or the sharing settings are set not to share, then a comment wouldn't be added.

How to sign in to AOL email account inbox page – AOL.com Mail Login

0 votes
Hans V January 9, 2019

Try adding the server to Jira Settings Incoming Mail servers.

Click Bottom Left Apps Icon > Jira > Jira Settings > System > Incoming Mail (Underneath Mail) > Click Add POP / IMAP mail server

0 votes
Tim Bieri September 22, 2017

Check Receiving requests by email:

• Set up a suitable request type with Summary and Description as required visible fields. Any other fields must be optional.
JF Simard December 19, 2017

We did, we have the same issue as described above.

CORRECTION:

Works if reply is sent with service desk email "To" but NOT if "Cc"

BUT

A ticket will be created if it is sent via "Cc"

Why should it not be working with "Cc" in a reply?

The reason being is that often our customers email us sometimes directly with "Support" email in Cc sometimes in "To", difficult to control

Like Frederic Simard likes this
0 votes

Ah ok it is working now. I had to change my request type visible forms and enable the email response.

Thanks!

Francis Joyal January 4, 2017

Hi, can you tell me what you did exactly?

what does "change my request type visible forms" mean?

what "enable the email response" mean ?

How you change those config? 

Thank you!

Craig Day January 4, 2017

We are no longer using JSD Cloud (have server now) so I cannot recall exactly what I changed. I believe that in the "request types" the request type that I had associated to the email channel did not have the proper fields created for it. I apologize for the vague answer but it was some time ago and I cannot recall or reproduce it again. 

Francis Joyal January 5, 2017

Its ok, we figured out the problem anyway.

Thank you

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 9, 2017

Hi Francis, can you please recall what you did to solve this?

We experience the same problem.

Thank you,
Tibor

Dave Gunn August 2, 2017

Yes.  Answer required please.  Our servicedesk went live yestaerday with users answering e-mails and their comments being lost in the void.

0 votes
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2015

Could you please confirm if you've setup the incoming e-mail channel for Service Desk?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/setting-up-the-email-channel-686862687.html

Mark Murawski February 8, 2017

We're having the same problem.  JIRA Service Desk auto creates tickets just fine.  When comments are added on the JIRA side, they get emailed just fine.  When customers respond to a JIRA email, the comment gets posted just fine.

But, when our Agents respond to a JIRA service desk email, the message is lost in the void.  It's not added as a comment either public or internal.

Like # people like this
0 votes

They are the same, yes. It is a gmail account. 

Suggest an answer