Reply to Event Triggered Email

Wayne Grebe January 9, 2013

I am trying to set up Jira OnDemand so that if a person replies to an Event-triggered email, the reply will not only be posted to Jira as a comment (which is apparently by default), but the reply will also be sent directly to the person that initiated the Event.

Under General Settings, Email from, I have the following; ${fullname} <${email}>;

I have tried sevral permutations of this (including without the carets), all to no avail. It seems that whatever I put in is simplay treated as the "display name" of the email address, which in a reply always defaults to, "jira@companyname.atlassian.net".

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Wayne

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2013

Actually if the auto-watch is turned on, the orginator should receive the reply email as he will automatically start watching the issue due to his first email.

And this statement is not right as per my understanding:

The email is simply logged as a comment in Jira. AND, unfortunately that comment that is logged in Jira does NOT trigger a comment Event either.

It is indeed handled as a comment event and all the people mentioned in the notification scheme for Issue Commented is notified.

Wayne Grebe January 15, 2013

Thanks Renjith. You're quite right, once I turned on the Comment Event in the Notifications Scheme (I had turned it off at one point), the reply emails started being received.

Thanks! Wayne

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2013

Hi Wayne,

This isn't really possible as you've described in OnDemand - that setting is just for display purposes as changing any of the SMTP configuration is a restricted function. The best way to ensure that whoever initiated that event is notified is to make sure that the Notification Scheme is sending that email when comments are added.

If you were to use a downloaded version instead of OnDemand, you could make those changes, or as the plugin architecture evolves there should be more opportunity to use add-ons that might be helpful.

Thanks,

-dave

Wayne Grebe January 10, 2013

Thanks Dave. Too bad, especially since the proper email address format is achieveable via the configuration. It just ends up being ignored though and being treated as the Display Name for the system-generated Jira address.

The problem is NOT with notifying people when a comment is added. It's when someone REPLIES to an Event-triggered email from Jira. The person that originated the Event (and thus the first email) does not receive the reply email. The email is simply logged as a comment in Jira. AND, unfortunately that comment that is logged in Jira does NOT trigger a comment Event either. The only way the originator of the first Event-triggered comment will see the REPLY is by stumbling upon it in Jira.

Thanks, Wayne

Suggest an answer